i want to homeschool
    Unregistered Guest

Default i want to homeschool

i dont know the first thing about homeschooling or even where to get curriculum or how much is it- if anyone could just point me in the right direction.... my girls are 6 & 7 both in accelerated classes- really would like to homeschool - too many bad little kids in public schools

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

There are so many different curriculums out there. All with different prices. We have been using time4learning since my son was in preK. He loves it. I love it. It's a great fit for our family. But it doesn't work for everyone. You really have to find a curriculum that fits your child's learning style. One of the best places to start is to find a local homeschool group. Talking to the other parents is a great way to find out what's working for them and what's not. If I'm reading the law correctly you only have to notify the school district. You do not have to tell them what curriculum you are using and there are no end of the year reports or testing involved. But please read the law and ask questions of those in your area to make sure.

If you go to the first few links in this forum you will see a thread on resources in Mississippi. That would be a good place to start looking for local support groups.

Welcome to this wonderful and exciting adventure.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Pamtishomingo Guest

Default homeschool concerns

I too am looking to homeschool my 7 year old grandson..he too is an accelerated learner...my concerns though are with the science and social studies cirriculm ...do they meet the mississippi standards, and if not, what do you recommend I supplement with?..

Blog Entries

I believe time4learning curriculum meets most state standards. Other than filing a letter of intent there aren't a lot of requirements for homeschoolers in Mississippi. Some people use SuperCharged Science to supplement. I find it a bit pricey. We get a program called Science Made Simple. You can find it online. They email you a new topic each month. It wasn't very much. For social studies we do lots and lots of field trips at historic sites around the area. I also love the Chester Comix. My son loves the format and they seem to be historically accurate. You could supplement with books from your local library. I like the Let's Read and Find Out series of books.

Carmon0715 is offline Junior Member Newbie

If your child was in accelared classes you might like the K12.com. It was too much for my son who has a learning problem and it bored him. It was detailed and organized the daily lesson plans and used computer and books, but mostly books. It was pricey. Around $400 for program and then $72 a month for lesson plans. But it was a good program. We are fixing to use Time4Learning because my son is a visual learner. Good luck.

Blog Entries

Some states do offer K-12 as a free school at home program. For me, I find time4learning to be the best at the best price.