Important Update For Parents in Mississippi
    crissygayle is offline Junior Member

Exclamation Important Update For Parents in Mississippi

The state board of education is at this time proposing to change the laws on homeschooling. This will be passed within the next few months if something isn't done.
    The new law will prevent parents whose children are in public school from being withdrawn to homeschooling.
    Please contact the board of education to express your views on this matter.
    Establishment of State Board Policy-3107 Home School Guidelines
    Administrative Procedures Act.
    You will need to contact Toni Kersh Bureau Director
    Office of Dropout Prevention and Compulsory School Attendance Enforcement
    POBox 771 Jackson ms

this is going to be before August 13 of this year at 5:00pm will be when your comments can be heard.

Angeline Guest

I spoke to more people about this. At this time, i believe this is going to be worded to say children over the compulsory age of 17.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Thanks for letting us know about this. It is certainly something to follow. You might want to talk to your Senators and House Representatives about this as well.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Olive is offline Member

Someone found this link for me... http://www.mde.k12.ms.us/docs/apa/po...7.pdf?sfvrsn=2

I tried to read it to find the information posted on this forum, but still find myself scratching my head. I do not know how to interpret the document. The part in bold on page 7 (to me) implies that you can't remove a child for the first time that is past the compulsory age from public/nonpublic school to homeschool. Wouldn't that only include 18yr old high school students? I'm really confused...

Olive is offline Member

So far the biggest concern I have with that link is page 8, section d. I don't know if that applies to homeschoolers but it defines school as 5-8 hrs of teaching. I know a lot of homeschoolers do not do school that many hours. My son is only 5, I think it's too much.

Edit: I spoke with some other homeschoolers and one told me that the 5hr thing was for public/private schools not for us to be concerned about. I'm not going to worry about it.
    Last edited by Olive; 08-03-2013 at 01:56 PM.

Concerned_GUEST Guest

Default BOGUS INFO - Time4Learning Needs to DELETE this Post.

CrissyGayle has posted misleading information here. Very irresponsible of her. Everyone should ignore this post as it will have no effect on us who are homeschooling in Mississippi nor those who are thinking of withdrawing their child/ren after the school year begins.
    This is a revised Law geared towards parents of DROP-OUTS who may try to circumvent the regulations of public schools by saying the student is being homeschooled. The Board of education is just making the Law *clear* -- unlike CrissyGayle.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I have read and reread the purposed change to Mississippi homeschool law. As far as I can see the only change is that they will no longer accept a Certificate of Enrollment for a child who is over the compulsory school age if they have never been homeschooled before. So if your child is older than 17 years old and wishes to withdraw from school to be homeschooled they will not accept the certificate. A child who is over 17 does not have to file the certificate anyway. The way I read this (this is my opinion, not a legal reference,) if your 17 year old decides to leave school to finish their education by homeschooling they would be considered a drop out and not a transfer student. There are no other changes being proposed in the law. I number of hours a day that you teach is not being questioned by this change.

I think whenever there is a change in the law it tends to cause people to panic. It is easy to interpret this as taking away our right to homeschool as we chose. I also think that the original poster in this thread was only expressing her concern for the change and asking for others to help her understand this change. She is also providing a means to contact the appropriate officials to express your concerns for this law. I don't think any maliciousness was intended by the original poster. She was only expressing her concern.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Unregistered Guest

Default Intersting

I can see where she was worried. Sure it mainly says over 17. However, what if you have a child with some sort of handicapping disability who is over that age and you want to remove them to home school. Let's imagine said child was 2 years behind when entering high school. And even though they are 17 are no where near graduating and you feel its time for them to work at home. Could this law prevent that?