Need help with the laws in MS
" "
+ Reply to Thread
    Junior Member Newbie

Default Need help with the laws in MS

Hey guys,
    I am fixing to start homeschooling my child who is 11 years old and has ADHD. This program looks like it will be fun for her and she won't get bored. But my question is, does MS recognize non credited schools and if so, how does that work? Thanks cathy

Administrator hearthstone_academy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Need help with the laws in MS

Hi, Cathy.

A school can be accredited. A homeschool can't. An online school (which many people mistakenly think of or refer to as "homeschooling") can be accredited. Time4Learning is not an online school. Time4Learning is for homeschooling.

Hospitals and other institutions can be accredited, too, so people are sometimes confused about what that word means.

All fifty states allow a parent to issue a homeschool diploma for their own child. Employers may not discriminate against a homeschool diploma. Colleges are more interested in a student's entrance exam scores than in how they learned what they know. Many colleges actively recruit homeschooled students.

Until high school, most public schools will enroll previously homeschooled students at the grade level that corresponds to their age.

Despite the acceptance of your own parent-issued high school diploma, public schools do not have to accept non-public-school work for credit. So, if you are not planning for your child to graduate from your family's home school and issue the diploma yourself, it is a good idea to get them into public school before high school begins.

MS recognizes "non credited schools", in that your parent-issued homeschool diploma is acceptable. However, you might have difficulty getting a public high school to accept credits your child earns while homeschooling. That is why it is usually important to either homeschool or not during high school.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you need more clarification.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!