Record Keeping

Thread: Record Keeping

kaidensrents is offline Junior Member

Default Record Keeping

This will be the second year that we are homeschooling our son and we kept a detailed portfolio last year. We are interested in hearing what everyone else is doing in terms of tracking progress and record keeping. Does keeping portfolios carry enough weight when entering back into a public school system or college for that matter? Does anyone utilize an umbrella school to keep and maintain documents? How are standardized tests handled?

These are some of the lingering questions that we have concerning homeschooling and state by state the differences in requirements are substantially different.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Also, is there anyone from Marshall County out there?

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Kaidensrents, I'm glad to see that you made it over to the Mississippi Parent Forum. I think I answered most of your questions on the Homeschooling forum from my point of view. I hope others will chime in here with their ideas.

Here is a link to the Mississippi Homeschool Laws. As you can see the only requirement is to file the Certificate of Enrollment. There is no testing requirement in Mississippi.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

kaidensrents is offline Junior Member

You have definitely been most helpful and I really appreciate it.

Seems kind of crazy as far as the testing goes...there are standardized tests starting in third grade for Marshall County schools.

I am curious to know what everyone else is doing as far a record keeping goes.

Blog Entries

I hope we can get some others to chime in as well. It's hard when it's the same two or three people who respond all the time. Keep asking questions.

Olive is offline Member

I'm not the best person to answer this as I am a newbie, but I bought an inexpensive planner which I have been filling out when we do school. I write down the name and/or T4L activity number (or quiz name) as well as other things we did that day such as time spent on readingbear.org. I write down the score my son got and add additional comments if applicable (i.e. guessed on answers, struggled). Later we go back to the lessons that need revisited. Technically my son isn't in school yet as kindergarten will start for him this month, but that's what we've been doing for several months as we've been using T4L for several months now. I also have a 3 ring binder where I put print outs like some of the T4L worksheets. I try to remember to date worksheets the day we do them. I doubt anyone will look at the stuff but it makes me feel semi-organized
    Last edited by Olive; 08-03-2013 at 02:20 AM.

Blog Entries

Thanks Olive. That's a great idea. I keep all of the reports that I print out in a notebook that is divided by grade level. I also put the printed worksheets in the notebook.