Teaching homeschool
    emilywbowen is offline Junior Member Newbie

Lightbulb Teaching homeschool

Hi! I stumbled upon this website while researching.

I am currently a licensed teacher in the state of Mississippi. I have taught 1-2 grade as well as special education in middle grades. I teach the students that need just a little extra help in a regular classroom, which is not students with moderate to severe disabilities.

I have a baby who is showing signs of being very advanced for her age. She's currently 14 months, and she is proving to be brighter than the average bear!

My husband and I have decided that public schools will make her bored, and we definitely won't be able to afford private schools. I had the idea to teach a home school co-op. Is that unheard of? We are non-religious, so we are wanting to focus on secular curricula. I also have a colleague that is interested in doing a small home school group for students with moderate to severe disabilities, i.e. students on the spectrum.

Now, the questions:

1. Is it possible to get paid to teach in a home school co-op?

2. What do I need to do to create a mini-school?

3. How would I advertise myself as a home school teacher?

4. Should I create my own curriculum or use an existing one?

5. What are my options?

6. Would anyone in the Jackson area be interested in paying for a home school teacher?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Teaching homeschool

Hi. There is often confusion about homeschooling, because it sounds like all it means is that the child is taught at home. Actually, homeschooling is less about where the learning takes place and more about who is in charge of the child's education (and who is in charge of following the homeschool laws in the state where the child lives). It is very common for people to mistakenly refer to enrollment in an online school or public-school-at-home options as "homeschooling".

Each state has its own homeschool laws. They are all very different. California has only recently addressed homeschooling. The state has four "homeschool" options, although only the first one would be recognized as homeschooling in most states.

The third might be something you could do: "A child can be privately tutored by a state-certified private tutor and instructed for at least three hours a day for 175 days each calendar year between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Cal. Educ. Code § 48224.

1. Is it possible to get paid to teach in a home school co-op?

Co-ops are all run differently. They are co-operatives between homeschool parents. It is not unheard of for a co-op to hire someone else to teach a class or some classes. More often, the parents take turns teaching classes in their own areas of interest. The co-op I belong to does not seek certified teachers.

2. What do I need to do to create a mini-school?

The parent is the teacher of record when homeschooling. Almost all states say a parent can homeschool "their own child". This doesn't keep a parent from hiring a tutor or taking advantage of community-based classes, but the parent remains in charge and the parent is responsible for filling out any necessary forms to comply with state homeschool laws.

3. How would I advertise myself as a home school teacher?

A homeschool teacher is a child's parent. You could advertise yourself as a tutor.

4. Should I create my own curriculum or use an existing one?

When homeschooling, the parent chooses the curriculum. No state dictates what curriculum a homeschooling parent must use or may not use. No curriculum is a perfect fit for every student, so I wouldn't try to answer this question until you know the student you are tutoring.

Good luck researching this!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!