Advice on taking child out of public school to home school
    Unregistered Guest

Default Advice on taking child out of public school to home school

My granddaughter is 6 years old and is not doing well in her public school. I want to take her out of public school and begin home schooling her. How should I go about doing this so we don't get into trouble with the public school system? How do I explain this to the public school so they don't appear at our door wanting to know why she hasn't been back to school? I would appreciate any help you can give. Thanks so much.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

It is so wonderful that you would consider homeschooling your granddaughter. First, let me say that I am not a lawyer, nor can I give you legal advice. As I read the law (you can find a copy here) looks like a parent or guardian could simply request that a 6 year old can be dropped from school since school is not mandatory until 7 years old. If I were you, I would check with the local school board, or the Department of Education for the state, and specifically ask the question, "What do I need to do to be legal to homeschool my granddaughter?"
    Missouri is not a hard state to homeschool in, even the it might look that way to begin with. I hope this helped a little bit, if you have more questions please feel free to ask. Best of luck!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Unregistered Guest

Default Thanks for the advice

My daughter & son in law withdrew my 6 year old granddaughter from school a few days ago and I started home schooling her. I was very nervous at first but after a few days she and I both started to feel more confident. I really appreciate the reply to my post. It's a big responsibility to home school and I want to give my little granddaughter the best that I can. She is so much happier now. Makes me happy too. Thank you.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

You are very welcome! I am so glad you both are working things out. Homeschooling is a big responsibility and it is good to have everything all lined up when you start.

Let me offer another site you might like to have your granddaughter check out. Learning Games for Kids has lots of educational games for early elemetary students, ranging from spelling games, to keyboarding games, and math games. My 12 year old daughter loves the keyboarding game called QWERTY Warriors.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!