Chicago Teacher Strike
    Bryan is offline Junior Member

Default Chicago Teacher Strike

What are your views on the teacher strike in Chicago ?

Bobbi Gregory is offline Junior Member

I think that I'm glad that I don't live in Chicago. The only person that I do know from there sends his kids to charter school so they aren't affected. I think its causing hardship on lots of people up there.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

I have to be very careful how I answer this one...when I was a senior in high school the teachers at my school went on strike. I have to tell you that as the student, senior year, last semester, I was frustrated and angry at the teachers. They claimed to care so much for the students, and yet when we needed them to be in the classroom, they were on the picket line. The people who came in as substitute teachers treated us like numbers and herded us from room to room. It was a miserable experience, and so my answer is tainted by that viewpoint.

I wrote a number of paragraphs, and realized that I was seriously yelling from the soapbox, so I erased it and will try again.

Teachers became teachers, knowing what the pay scale was. They have guaranteed jobs which is more than a lot of people can say.
    Do they put up with garbage in the classroom? Yep.
    Do they have to use their own money for supplies? Yep.
    Do they have a steady paycheck? Yep.
    Do they have a better retirement plan than the majority of Americans? Yep.
    On the picket line, are they doing the jobs they were hired to do? Nope.
    Should they get a paycheck if they are not doing their job? Nope.
    I just put my foot back up on that soapbox, and I think it is time for me to step away before I get myself into trouble!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Bryan is offline Junior Member

I know what you mean Linda. When i was going to school the teachers did a strike as well and my mother had to go to part - time on her job to teach me and my brothers .