Do you have a dedicated homeschooling place?
    MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Default Do you have a dedicated homeschooling place?

do you have a dedicated place to homeschool? A desk or table where you conduct "class"? Or do you have a multi-purpose space where school and numerous other things happen? If you don't have a dedicated school space, do you wish you did, or do you like having it integrated with the rest of life?

My school room was going to be the "office". The back bedroom that had a desk, and numerous bookcases. However, over the years, the desk with computer, hutch, a bookcase, and the printer stand have all migrated into the family room. There are a couple of reasons for this and not all of them have to do with school. One big reason is the fact that the "office" is a small bedroom, by the time you add me, daughter, 100lb dog and the little dog, the room is stuffed to overflowing! Another reason was that we seemed to be cut off from the rest of the house. If I went to make lunch, school stopped because I couldn't see if my daughter was schooling or goofing!

So, where is school? And do you like it that way ?

Linda
    Rep, Moderator, and...
    Homeschooler of one!
    Homeschooling on the Web!

Bobbi Gregory is offline Junior Member

We have converted a part of our finished basement into a homeschool room. I really like it but I have secret aspirations to convert the dining room or front living room instead...then we would be upstairs instead of running up and down all day. It would probably help if I weren't so forgetful...lol! It is nice that they don't mess with stuff when school is done but I guess I just prefer to be upstairs!

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

We have moved, and are schooling in the dining room now, there is no dinette, so we eat and school in the same place. It is not ideal, but not too bad. As my daughter gets older I think that I will be letting her branch out and do some school in her room, or the home office, even the front porch. I would love to finish our basement, but right now it is just too wet for books, paper, furniture, or computers. I am appreciating my school not being in the basement because we would be up and down the stairs too many times a day. While that might be good for my figure (Stairmaster for free?! it would be very disruptive. If your household is anything like mine, and many homeschoolers I know, the line between homeschool, and home life gets really blurred, and because of that it is easier to have my homeschool in the heart of the house, not off in a room, or down in the basement.
    Let us know how things work out, and I'm secretly hoping you get to move to the dining room!!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

jlsims357 is offline Junior Member

right now we have table work at the dinning room table and then move to the family room for computer time. Would love for it all to be in the same room but right now that is not possible. All extra school supplies are stored in our bedroom and all rescource books and reading books are in the spare bedroom. My dream is to get the basement finished and have a nice family room down there and convert the upstairs family room into a school room. I can dream right???

Bobbi Gregory is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MamaToHerRoo View Post
    We have moved, and are schooling in the dining room now, there is no dinette, so we eat and school in the same place. It is not ideal, but not too bad. As my daughter gets older I think that I will be letting her branch out and do some school in her room, or the home office, even the front porch. I would love to finish our basement, but right now it is just too wet for books, paper, furniture, or computers. I am appreciating my school not being in the basement because we would be up and down the stairs too many times a day. While that might be good for my figure (Stairmaster for free?! it would be very disruptive. If your household is anything like mine, and many homeschoolers I know, the line between homeschool, and home life gets really blurred, and because of that it is easier to have my homeschool in the heart of the house, not off in a room, or down in the basement.
    Let us know how things work out, and I'm secretly hoping you get to move to the dining room!!

Me too! Our basement is nice but there is still a lot of up and down and I know I'd like an upstairs schoolroom!