Hours of work

Thread: Hours of work

Plato, Mo Guest

Smile Hours of work

Hello, I am new to this home schooling. I have a 11 years old boy that I need to get on track. It seams like I am way behind. Should I be setting the time like regular school hours or 8 to 3 ?

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

I think you will find that school goes a lot faster than the 7 hours allotted in public school. He will not have to wait on anyone, nor will they have to wait on him. He will not spend time changing classes, waiting in lines, etc. We normally do about 3 to 4 hours a day. Once you get started you will find out what schedule works best for you and your son. In truth, the only limit we have in our homeschool (my daughter is 11) is that we try not to plan household errands for public school hours, meaning we don't go to grocery, bank, pay bills, pharmacy, feed store, etc...just because we always get the question of "where you sick from school today?" or something like that and it makes me uncomfortable. We do field trips, and doctor's appointments during school hours though.

One of the best ways you can figure out how long your child needs to be in school is to use the formula where you figure out how many lessons your child needs to do in a day to finish within your school year. Since we homeschool all year long we are very flexible on this, but an example might be :
    if there are 360 lessons in math, and you run a 180 day school year, he would need to do 2 lessons/school day to finish within that time.
    Do that for each subject, you can find that information on the lesson planning page.
    I have set our goal at 7 activities per day, in that I include lessons, quizzes, resources, and chapter tests in Time4Learning. If we still have time and energy we do our additional work, such as Art, music, spanish, etc.

I hope this helped a little bit. If you have other questions or need clarification please feel free to ask!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!