how to log field trip hours
    Unregistered Guest

Default how to log field trip hours

I cannot find how to log keep track of field trip hours please help

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: how to log field trip hours

Hi. Here are Missouri's homeschool laws. I'm not an attorney and I don't live in Missouri, but maybe my understanding of these laws will help until someone from Missouri comes along.

Missouri says you must maintain certain records, but you would only need to provide them to the state if you were being prosecuted for something having to do with your kids and/or their education.

They do require that you maintain:

• A plan book, diary, daily log, or other written record indicating the subjects taught and the activities engaged in with the student;
    • A portfolio containing samples of the student's academic work;
    • A record of evaluation of the student's academic progress; or
    • Other written, or credible evidence equivalent to a, b, and c.

They also require "at least 1,000 hours of instruction during the school year, with at least 600 hours in the basics, which will be in reading, language arts, mathematics, social studies, and science. At least 400 of the 600 hours shall occur in the home location."

So, you have 200 hours for field trips. I would just grab a calendar and note where you went and how long you were there on each date. Chances are, you won't ever need this, but it's important to have it, just in case.

The Time4Learning reports can make up a good portion of your daily log. Remember, though, that you can legitimately count Scouts, 4H, organized sports, volunteer work, part-time jobs, arts and crafts, educational DVDs, and casual parental instruction in things like auto mechanics or cooking as school hours. You can jot info about these non-T4L activities on your big calendar, too. I've found that the easier my recordkeeping is, the more likely I will keep up with it.

Here is information about items you can include a homeschool portfolio when you use Time4Learning.

I hope this gives you some ideas to get started.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Karabear10000@gmail.com is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: how to log field trip hours

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I cannot find how to log keep track of field trip hours please help
    I live in MO and you have to have 1000 hours teaching time. 600 hours has to be work including reading, writing, math, social studies, and science. 400 hours has to be at home and the other 200 hours has to be at like the zoo doing there homeschooling program. Then the other 400 hours can be field trips you can also include sports as there pe. We went on field trips on something he was learning. If you live in Kansas City Science City has days that are educational. On recording the field trip hours I record in a teachers record book and grade book. On one of the pages I put the field trips. The T4L record book works for the work but I like to keep my own record. Especially when he doesn't understand something. I usually let him do it and when he gets to the quiz and fails it badly, I go over the information and then he does the quiz again and it raises the grade. Unfortunately it doesn't raise his grade in the book. I hope this helps.