How long are you in for?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MamaToHerRoo

Thread: How long are you in for?

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Default How long are you in for?

Ok, so tell me, how long are you in for? Are you a lifer?

What I should really ask is, how long do you plan to homeschool?
    Are you only doing it as a temporary stop gap until you move to another state/district?
    Elementary school only? Plan to homeschool through middle school?
    In for the long haul, through high school and beyond?
    Maybe you just don't know and are taking one day at a time.
    We would love to hear how long you plan to homeschool, why and how you came to that decision.
    Come on, give us a post!!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Bobbi Gregory is offline Junior Member

Lord willing we will homeschool the two younger kiddos (they are 1st and k now) through high school. I realize though that sometimes things don't go how we plan so I'm flexible. My older two are in Middle school and high school and are doing great but it saddens me that there are over a 1000 kids in the school buildings. I'd homeschool them in a heartbeat if their Dad(my ex) would agree. As for my younger two we have considered homeschooling all along but decided to let ds go to kindergarten because he was eligible for lots of therapy and some special ed help...mid year they said he was too advanced...end of the year they said he was behind in reading and needed to do the remedial summer school program to catch up. My poor little guy was so exhausted every night and not the joyous little boy we sent off to school. He has low muscle tone among other things so even just sitting still for such long periods of time is fatiguing. With homeschool he finishes his lessons by 11 or 12, eats lunch, plays for a bit and takes a nap. Then we get to enjoy that sweet little guy in the evenings. My main reason for searching out T4L is because he HATES writing...its very tiring to him. I'm praying that this is the answer that will give him a quality education without making every school day a struggle.

I know what you mean, I pulled my daughter out of middle of 1st grade because she was an ugly, mean beast! School, the hours, the need for her not to disturb other kids in class, her need to move faster in school, her need to move period (sitting still was torture for her!) all lead to poor conduct in school, frustration, sleep disturbances, behavioral issues, etc. We were at the end of our collective family rope, and homeschooling seemed like the only option left. We found Time4Learning, and my daughter finished 1st grade and did much of 2nd grade by summer. I won't say that life became perfect, but it certainly became so much better. My daughter is doing 6th grade/7th grade work now, and she is just now getting to the point that she will willingly write. T4L is absolutely wonderful about getting the information to my daughter, without undue repetition, and without excessive writing.

I'm sorry to hear that your ex doesn't buy into homeschooling, but I am glad that your younger children are getting to experience homeschool. I hope you come to enjoy it as much as we do!
    Linda

Bobbi Gregory is offline Junior Member

I'm so glad to hear that. Now that I think about it its very unreasonable to expect such young children to sit still for so long each day! No wonder Americans are getting so fat! I never thought much about it before because I always went to public school so it just seemed the norm. I do believe that kindergarten when I was a kid(I did k in 77) was more like preschool is now.

Bryan is offline Junior Member

Well it looks like for the long haul . The only way my son is going back to regular school now is if i move to another area and then it would be for high school .

Bryan,
    Thanks for weighing in! He doesn't even have to go to back to school for high school unless that is just something that you both want. I know that lots of people homeschool through high school. In fact, I was checking out Let's Homeschool High School
    which is a site for parents and kids who are homeschooling high school.
    Bryan likes this.
    Linda

Bryan is offline Junior Member

Linda ,
    I am very glad you have already started looking at the high school part ! I didn't even know where to start looking at ! I would rather homeschool him than send my son back to regular school . Yesterday was my sons last day of regular school , i didnt know that when he left in the morning though . He was running a fever at school and wanted to see the nurse about it so of course he wasnt allowed to . So they didn't call me about it but they did take the time to call me to inform me that they were going to place him in special ed full time starting this Monday coming up and that i couldnt do anything about it all because he has been homeschooled for the past 2 years no other reason . I have such a great school system around here - NOT !

Remember to get legal the the Dept of Education. I understand your frustration with the traditional system. I don't know why homeschooling should make him be sent to special ed if there are not other circumstances that warrant special ed. That's crazy!
    Just keep in mind that your goal is to do the best for your son. Looks like you are being a great advocate for him.

Best of luck!
    Linda