I've had it!

Thread: I've had it!

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Default I've had it!

I've had it up to here!

Ok, homeschoolers, I am going to vent, get ready!

I'm a taxpayer, really, and my taxes go to support public school, you know, things like books, classrooms, curricula, band, art, sports, foreign language programs. And, my child doesn't take advantage of those things because, well, she is homeschooled. But, I'm still taxed for them.
    Wait just a second! As I look back through the checkbook, hmm, I wrote a check for books, mortgage (let us call part of it "classroom" for purpose of this illustration), T4L (ok, credit card), piano lessons, art lessons, Tae Kwon Do, Spanish class....didn't I already pay for this stuff once? (looking back at my tax returns) YEP! I've already paid for this stuff once...err....make that twice!
    I'm fed up with paying for it twice. I think I should get a tax break, or an allowance. How much money is the state/county allowing for each public school child? I'll tak half that amount as a tax credit, or as a cash allowance to purchase things for my homeschool. How does that sound?
    Anyone else fed up? Let us hear from you. What do you think of this idea? Is it a pipe dream?
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Unregistered Guest

Default tax breaks, vouchers? good or bad

I am starting my 2nd year of homeschooling. I have heard both sides of this and wonder 'if the gov't offered tax breaks or vouchers what would the government want in return?'. I pulled my children out of public school and have seen the concessions public schools had to make to qualify for Race To The Top (statewide) and the NCLB waiver (districtwide) for state testing that came about just this year. The fed Board of Ed takes even more control of the schools. Would we have more regulation and would we lose some of the freedom we have to choose how our children learn best? I think I am still on the fence. It would be nice but not if it means more government intervention.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

I know what you mean, and I really was just venting. I do not want more intrusion on how I homeschool. I don't even begrudge...much... the taxes I pay for the public school I don't use.
    After all, I do get to take curriculum purchases off of my taxes. I just wish that I could opt out of paying the taxes just as I have opted out of public school.
    Thanks for chiming in!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!