Math woes

Thread: Math woes

Unregistered Guest

Unhappy Math woes

My 15 y/o dd is 15 and about to begin sophomore level work, with the exception of math; she is so far behind I don't know what to do! As pitiful as it is, she still struggles with multiplication and division. I would love to hear any advice as to how to handle this situation. At this point I'm very concerned how this will affect the remainder of her HS career.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Math woes

At one point, I stopped all math instruction for a couple of my kids and we just concentrated on memorizing their multiplication facts. That is SO basic to just about everything. If you have to stop to calculate every single-digit multiplication fact, it makes long division grueling and working with fractions is next to impossible. There is no point trying to "catch up" if that basic foundation isn't there. It's worth the investment in time to stop . . . learn those facts . . . and then see how much more quickly they can proceed after that.

Here is an article I wrote about how we learned our multiplication facts. Also, we have used Timez Attack (which is a free program not associated with Time4Learning).

Maybe that isn't your daughter's problem, but it's worth seeing how many facts she can recall immediately. Good luck!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Robin is offline Senior Member

My older children struggled with math. We definitely worked on facts, but what helped the most was heading over to Khan Academy and reinforcing whatever they were working on with T4L. My oldest caught up and went on to Calculus.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

That's a good point, too. One of my sons who struggled with math is now an electronics engineer. He had to take "multi-variable calculus" in college and did really well. I didn't even know that was a thing until he took the course. So don't give up. They can catch up!

We've used Khan academy too, Robin. It's very efficient, and the price is right! (It's free.)

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!