My son wants to start homeschooling can someone please help
    Unregistered Guest

Default My son wants to start homeschooling can someone please help

Hi my name is Jacqueline and my 7th grade son wants to start being home schooled. He has adhd and scores at a senior level for reading and math but is so bored and disinterested in class he only does the tests gets a 98% but don't turn in any other work so he fails. He would like to leave the public school life for a more relaxed learning invironment. Can anyone tell me where I should start. Thank you in advance!!!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Jacqueline. Each state has its own homeschool laws, so the place to begin is your state's Department of Education website. Make sure you know and understand the laws. Some states simply want you to let them know you are homeschooling. Others have testing requirements or other expectations.

Then, it's important to understand the difference between an online school and a homeschool curriculum. Time4Learning is a homeschool curriculum, not an online school. Many people mistakenly refer to online schools as "homeschooling", because the work is done at home. That is not the legal definition. In homeschooling, the parent directs the student's education, whether by choosing curriculum, teaching them directly, signing them up for classes within the community, utilizing a tutor, etc. The parent is responsible for following the homeschool laws in the student's state of residence. Since most homeschool laws are designed to assure that the student is learning and not to tell the parent how to teach it, you will find you have a lot of freedom when homeschooling.

With an online school, a third party directs the student's education. The third party is responsible for following the school laws (not homeschool laws) in the school's state. Since a school will have certain requirements for all of its students, you will not be able to customize your child's education as much as you might like.

Here is our free Welcome to Homeschooling guide, with additional information for you. Also, if you are intending to homeschool through high school, a great place to find printable diploma and transcript templates is Let's Homeschool High School.com . There is a wealth of information there about homeschooling a high schooler.

Welcome, to you and your son!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!