New to h/s

Thread: New to h/s

Unregistered Guest

Default New to h/s

Hi. My name is Ann. I live in Clarence, MO and am brand spanking new to homeschooling. I have 7 chidren but have decided to only homeschool my oldest son at least for this year to gain confidence. If I homeschool him all the way through highschool can he get some sort of a diploma or does it have to be a GED? I was a little unlcear on that. I'd appreciate any and all advice you have for me. Thanks!

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Hi Ann,
    First, let me welcome you to Time4Learning. How old is your son that you will schooling this year?
    As to your point on diploma or GED, that will probably be your choice. Here is how I understand it, (my daughter is 5grade langauge arts, 6th grade everything else, so I am beginning to look a what she will need to get out of high school):
    It will depend on how you decide to do high school as to whether your child will get a diploma, GED, or no recognition at all as to high school graduation.
    If you opt for an accredited distance school, or an umbrella school, or other options like that, your son would get a diploma.
    If you opt for an at home version of high school through the public system, or something like Connections Acadamy, then he would also get a diploma.
    Many of the distance learning full curricula will offer a diploma.
    GED is an option, but it is not always necessary, and sometimes detrimental. Let me give you an example. My understanding is that the millitary is interested in homeschoolers because they are self starters, and fairly well educated as a general rule. These students are considered with the high school graduates. However, if they get a GED, they are considered with the GED students. The difference between the two, is that GED is sometimes associated with drop outs, which makes it a different level when being considered by the military. So GED is not always the best choice.
    Another option is to work on dual high school/college credit. This can be done through community colleges, generally. When it comes time to apply for a 4 year college, the student not only gets credit for completion of high school, but also for the college courses that the community college counted (the same ones that they get high school credit for, it is kind of double dipping, but it is completely legal). What that means is that the 4year college admits the student as a continuing student, instead of a new admit, and that means they look at the college courses with more weight than the high school diploma. A side note, many universities are recruiting homeschoolers, so that is a postive.
    I'm sure my explanation made that clear as mud LOL. If you need more information or clarification, please just ask and I will try to address your specific question.
    Best of luck with homeschooling!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Welcome to T4L, Ann! So glad to have you here. Since you are new to homeschooling, you might find this ebook helpful. It is comprehensive without being overwhelming. Also, here is a link to Getting Started with Time4Learning.

Best wishes on a fun and successful year!
    Joyfully,
    Jackie