new homeschoolers in kansas city
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Unregistered
  • 1 Post By Tyler N Andrea Sproston

Thread: new homeschoolers in kansas city

Cool new homeschoolers in kansas city

Hello, I am Regina, just starting to homeschool my 2 sons, we are all nervous but hopeful that time 4 learning will benefit the kids. Any wisdom or advise is welcome. thanks

Unregistered Guest

Default Homeschooling

I am doing a LOT of research on homeschooling. My daughter is still 2 years away, but see it fit being we are in the Kansas City MO school district and I am a stay at home mom. Could you please let me know how this program is working for you? I am looking for something reliable and interesting to children. Please and thank you for your reply.
    anadaniyah likes this.

Tyler N Andrea Sproston is offline Junior Member Newbie

We are also in Kansas City and started to homeschool our 3 boys this year! We are excited, nervous, but very ready
    anadaniyah likes this.

Welcome!!!!! I am still nervous about homeschooling. I repeatedly question if I am doing the right thing for my son. We are trying different approaches this year. Still doing lots of the usual subjects but we are enhancing with other media...found a site that sends free dvds. Going to do more outdoor activities too. my direct email is [email protected] if you ever want to chat. Good luck!!!!

Sorry i just saw ur post....my son really likes the time4learning program, he is 13 and the youngest is 5, i put the youngest in public school this year, but i have them both doing the program and it is working. This year we are enhancing the older sons learning with some interactive videos, dvds, even using Netflix as educational source...they have alot of good videos. we are in the Hickman Mills district. Good luck!!

LauraWD is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hello! We are just starting out homeschooling this year as well. We've had some real issues with the public schools, so we decided to give it a shot. So far our son (7) seems to be enjoying himself. I love that he can do some work, then run out and play, and come back in and do some more work. I work from home which is why we ended up going with time4learning. I needed him to be able to be somewhat independent during the day (as independent as a 7yo gets!). My family is not supportive at all. They think we are crazy and are being irresponsible because he will grow up ignorant and unsocialized. I do keep trying to tell them that he isn't a dog (lol) and he gets plenty of socialization. We've only been doing this for a couple of weeks and I'm already sick to death of that word! We would really love to have the support of other families who are also homeschooling. I should add that we have a 2yo daughter, too, who is just thrilled to have big brother home all day. I think she is learning a little, too.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Welcome! We are glad to have you here! Let me address Laura's comment about family that is not supportive. You have to grow a thick skin about this. There are any homeschooled children who are well socialized (they do try to make them sound like puppies, don't they?) and very well educated. Those who are nay-sayers about homeschool and think that your children will grow up unsocialized and uneducated are showing that they are not familiar with today's homeschooling and are depending on antiquated stereotypes. If you can hold out for a year and be able to show how well your child does with one-on-one instruction and education you will be able to show them that the education you are providing is at least equal and probably superior to public school. Just hang in and do what you think is best. Ultimately it is your responsibility anyway!! It makes the whole process easier if you can find a local support group. This does a couple of things, it allows you to interact with like minded parents, and it provides places for your child to interact with children who are also homeschooled, both in his age group and in other age groups. I think it is really important to find a support group that provides field trip opportunities. I wish you all luck in your homeschooling, and this forum can be a great source of support even if we can't go on field trips with you! Happy homeschooling!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!