New to homeschooling
    Ireneporchia Guest

Smile New to homeschooling

I am new to homeschooling and we started in October. I was wondering should I still do the required 1000 hours for Missouri or can I somehow deduct hours spent in public school? We are enjoying the homeschooling, but I have having a hard time organizing our time and I somewhat feel behind. Can anybody give any suggestions on getting the most out of our days.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Irene,
    I believe that you can deduct the hours that were done in public school. The 1000 hours is a total for a school year.

Homeschooling takes a little bit of getting used to. Be patient as your and your child(ren?) become accustomed to the new lifestyle.

Remember that a lot of things count as instructional time. Educational videos (Discovery channel, etc) can count as science, History Channel programs can count as social studies. Helping in the kitchen is life skills, home economics, and possibly science. If they ride their bikes or take a walk, or play organized games outside that is Physical Education. If you are religious and do daily devotionals, count that as an Elective...

Remember that schooling at home will be more time efficient than sitting in a classroom with 25 other kids. As soon as your kid gets the concept you move on, you don't have to wait for the rest of the class to get it, or worry that your kid is left behind if a hard concept (to him) slows him down a bit. You just work at it until he gets it, then move on.

I hope those ideas help, remember that field trips and play dates with homeschool groups count as school time also, though they will fall into the part that is done away from the home.

If you need clarification or have questions please don't hesitate to ask!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!