new to homeschooling

Red face new to homeschooling

Hi my son is 10 and has had a hard time with public schools. I am starting my first full year of homeschooling this year. Last year I pulled him out at the last part of school. So I have got my feet wet but I don't know how to get my son some friends. Does anyone have some suggestions. I live in St Charles Area.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Hi! Welcome to T4L. The making of friends is very hard sometimes. My own daughter seems to have trouble in that area. The only thing I can do is present her with opportunities to make friends. She has to do the making! We joined the local homeschool group, the local homeschool co-op, participate in church activities, and activities through the library. You might see if there is a local club that he would be interested in such as an archery club, or ham radio club. If he is into sports then maybe he could make friends through community sports teams. Look into scouting if that is something he might like. Don't feel tied to only same age groups. One of the beauties of homeschooling is that your child can be in contact to children and adults of different ages and his friends might be based more on interests than strict age-peer groups. I hope some of those suggestions help. Let us know how things go!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Tyler N Andrea Sproston is offline Junior Member Newbie

How would I find our local homeschool group in Kansas City?

You might try doing an internet search for something like "homeschool support group Kansas City, MO". You might also check your local library to see if they know of homeschoolers. For some reason homeschoolers tend to stick in the minds of librarians If you got to church you might check there for other homeschoolers. We hope that we can be your online support group, but unfortunately we can't go on field trips together! Good luck!
    Linda

libbylibby Guest

Question Freaking out!

Hello, I am also very new to homeschooling, I just began today and now I am scared I am not organized enough to do this. I am questioning how long I should have my boys stay on one subject and for how many hours in the day. I have a 13 year old who would be in 8th grade,and an eight year old who would be starting 4th grade. I am wondering if it is ok that I am using T4L as my only curriculum for a while until I get the hang of things. I am so scared right now that I do not have what it takes to be a good guide for each of them. We moved from Scott AFB Il. and have no friends here either, we live in Bellefontaine Neighbors. I did join homeschool families of st. louis area and will be attending a field trip Thursday to the Art Museum so we should meet a few people there, I have yet to find anyone who uses T4L though. This group has lots of social events such as park days, unfortunately we are a one car family and my husband works all day on base, it takes too long by bus to be able to partake in as much as I would enjoy to.. I am sorry if I am bouncing from one subject to another, I am, as I said...freaking out a bit.. I feel like I need somebody to be with me for a day and tell me what to do! ugh.. thank you all for being here, now back to trying to figure out what to do next, lunch is almost over... bye for now... [email protected]

Libby,
    First, you have to take a deep breath and relax! I know that sounds like advice that is unreasonable at this point but you can do it! I know that it feels overwhelming. Before I started homeschooling (more than 7 years ago!) I cried every day for a month before our start date. I can honestly tell you that I saw a difference in my daughter after only a short period of homeschooling. She was learning at an incredible pace, she re-discovered her joy of learning, and things got much better behavior-wise. The key is being flexible and giving it some time. Many new homeschoolers find that their children need a period of decompression, a time to unlearn bad habits about study and learning, and the joy that can be associated with it. They need a time to figure out that there is a difference between how things were done in public school and how things are done in homeschool. So be kind to yourself and your kids and allow a bit of time for you all to get used to it.
    Many bases have a homeschool group so check there first. You may find that you have a built in homeschool group because homeschooling is pretty popular for military families since they move often. You might also check the Military forum. The families over there might have some advice for you that will make it better. Once you get attached to a local support group, you may find that there are families who are willing to help you get to field trips.
    Finally, don’t believe those blogs and forums you might read that tell of perfect, organized homeschool families who not only grow all their own food, raise their own meat, back their own break, make their own clothes, all of their 15 kids speak 3 languages and play 4 musical instruments, all while getting ready to attend college at the age of 12. The moms also have time to scrap book, knit and crochet in between homeschooling their 15 kids. I’m not saying they are liars, and I’m not saying that they don’t exist, but I will tell you that they are few and far between. For most of us, homeschooling might have some of the afore mentioned properties, but the reality is that homeschooling is”
    a) a work in progress,
    b)flexible,
    c) not perfect,
    d) different for each child
    e) a lifestyle (and because it is a lifestyle it will probably take you more than a week to establish your routine.)
    Hang in, and see how it goes for a month or so. I think you will find that it gets much better!
    Linda

Default thirteen year old in indep area

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler N Andrea Sproston View Post
    How would I find our local homeschool group in Kansas City?
    I have a thirteen year old daughter in the Indep area.