New to online Homeschool
    MamaTeacher Guest

Default New to online Homeschool

My name is Michelle and I have been homeschooling my 12 yr old for 1 and 1/2 yrs now. My biggest concern is that I am really unfamiliar with this whole online curriculum...I am used to simply having books with worksheets to complete...My son finished several sections today in a very short time...I am used to it normally taking him several hours to complete his work so I am curious if I'm doing something wrong?...Can anyone give me just a bit of assistance on this?

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

The good news is that you are probably doing everything right. Time4Learning is designed to be interactive and engaging, and kids generally love to use it. Because of this there is less of the time wasting. I know if my daughter (11 yrs old, 4 years homeschooling) had to use workbook pages we would never get any school done, because she would waste too much time. The easiest way for me to tell if my daughter is on track is to work this equation for each subject:
    1. Figure out how many lessons each subject has.
    2. Figure out how many school days are in your school year.
    3.Then divide the number of lessons by the number of school days and you will get the number of how many lessons per day in a subject he should do.
    For most subjects it works out to less than 7 per week, which means only a couple per subject per day.

The other thing to check is that within lessons sometimes there are written assignments. I know that if I don't actively enforce the fact that those assignments within a lesson are done, that my daughter will skip though the lesson and not put the outside work into it. For science, that might mean she was supposed to do an experiment or for language arts, she might have needed to write a paragraph,or something like that.
    So, just check and make sure if there was an outside assignment and you want him to do the additional work, that he is doing it.
    Give it a little time, it is different for you and for him. He might be moving really fast right now, and then settle out to some slower pace.
    I hope something I said made sense If there is anything else you need to ask about feel free. We are here to help, and glad to have you!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Unregistered Guest

Default thanks

it helped me out im realy new at this but i know i can do this im willing to spend as much time with my son as needed to help him do his best and i tri to make every day fun so he realy wants to learn its great so far

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Glad it helped! One of the things we like best about homeschooling is that it is pretty fun. We play a lot of learning games, and she gets to try to beat her best scores so it pushes her to do better. And when the pressure gets to be too much, we can back off a little. It is good to have the flexibility that homeschooling provides.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!