Probation for Truancy stopping the homeschool process!!??
    SharonInMaconCounty Guest

Angry Probation for Truancy stopping the homeschool process!!??

My friend want to homeschool her 15 year old son. He has had all B’s up until now but he is on a 6-month truancy probation for missing so much school. They school said the probation officer has to sign off on it before she can withdraw him from school. The probation officer said he will only sign off on it if she provides proof of being in a “program” first.

My understanding they don’t have to be enrolled in a “program” and I do not understand how this decision belongs to a probation officer or why the case would not just be closed by withdrawing him from school when the probation in just for missing too many days!

She is not a “fighter” and I am guessing they are using scare tactics. She cannot afford a lawyer for this either.

Has anyone had a similar situation?

Thanks in advance

darlacummings35 is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Probation for Truancy stopping the homeschool process!!??

I don't know your specific state laws but I do know that when any kid reaches the age of 16 they can just quit school. Can she enroll him in T4L then show him or call the Principal or Guidance office? Does he have any kind of anxiety that his Dr can write a letter to the school? She should call her Board of education or just write a letter stating that she's going to homeschool her son. That's how it works in NY. She has to be willing to fight for her son, though.

Gracekelly is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Probation for Truancy stopping the homeschool process!!??

I punched up the compulsory age for states, and for MO it stated the compulsory age is 17, or the completion of 16 credits toward high school graduation. This was for 2015 (stated), so then I typed MO Dept. of Education It also states 17. (I'm up in Iowa)
    Sorry you're having trouble with your district.

Unregistered: Sheila Guest

Default Re: Probation for Truancy stopping the homeschool process!!?? POSSIBLE HELP

I may be a little late but here's some help possibly:

Home School Legal Defense Association - Wikipedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_S...se_Association
    The Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA) is a United States-based "nonprofit advocacy organization established to defend and advance the constitutional right of parents to direct the education of their children and to protect family freedoms."