Is there anyone out there
    homeschoolmomma3 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Wink Is there anyone out there

Hi Everyone out there in MO....
    There doesnt seem to be a lot of action going on in here. So.. Lets start the intros...
    I live in NW mo. I have 3 children. Oldest DD is 10. We have been Homeschooling for 4 years now. Son in 6, and youngest DD is 6 mo.
    I am a Christian married to an Athiest.. ( creates problems at times). I live in a small town where the neighbors think that I am their personal babysitter/ tutor/personal cook because " I have nothing better to do all day" ( in their words). I struggle everyday with having to explain what I do with my children and the personal choices my husband and I have made. The other day the heating and cooling tech who came to fix my furnace tested my children in math to be sure they were learning. OMG!!! sorry I am rambling/ venting and that is not a very good first impression. I apologize.

Anywho... I hope that I get a chance to get to know some of you lurkers out there.....

talk to you soon... Homeschoolmomma3

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

We have just moved back to the forum and every time there is a change people seem to wait to see what is going to happen. The change was made from groups to forums with the hope that it will be easier to use.
    I hope that other people will respond favorably and introduce.
    I can add mine in here, I'm Linda, homeschooling a 10 year old daughter who is in 5th/6th grade. We have homeschooled for 4 years. We have always used Time4Learning as our core curriculum.
    Can I just say about the neighbors thinking you have nothing better to do....you have to learn to say "no". For those of us who are "real" homeschoolers it is difficult to add the wants and needs of neighbors/family/etc. who don't think we have anything better to do. But remind them that you are a full time teacher, homeschooling is not a joke, and that you do "work" during the day. I found that some people got mad because I refused to accomodate their wants and needs, but the results of our homeschooling are evident and I get many fewer requests to do things that infringe on my homeschooling time.
    Hey, and it is always ok to vent or rant here. If not here then where?!
    Hope to hear more from you in the future.

Linda
    Rep, Moderator, and...
    Homeschooler of 1 child for 4 years with Time4Learning~!

asmomofsix is offline Junior Member Newbie

Oh, can I relate to you! I have felt so alone because our family is so "different" in the neighborhood. I am the neighborhood "babysitter and cook". The remarks like..."she can stay until 5:00, I'm going to do a puzzle." Or, "Can S. come play? I just can't get any work done." I feel so responsible for the three yr. olds sent to my yard and for the kids being raised by absent parents. The best is that the public school bus driver stops in front of my house and watches my kids when they are out on warm days. Yesterday I was so fed up I was ready to head to Walmart for a for sale sign. How do you handle people who don't understand your choices for your family. I try so hard to be kind and Christ-like. Is there an answer?

Momofsix,
    Well, I guess I am just ugly. It doesn't bother me anymore, maybe. It is my choice to homeschool my daughter, because I felt like her needs were not being met in public school. "They" don't have to walk a mile in my shoes, "They" don't have to deal with my difficult child 24/7. "They" don't pay my bills, or cook my food. I just don't handle them. I state my case, and they can choose to understand it or not. They can even comment, if they like, but I am not compelled to listen.
    I do find that there are things that I do to lessen the prying eyes, and unavoidable questions. When going out in public, my child is always neat, clean, and appropriately dressed. I try to remember snacks and drink when we go out so that we don't have hunger or thirst melt downs in public. (I don't want anyone blaming the melt down on homeschooling, rather than the real reason...hunger, thirst, pain, tiredness...) We avoid household errands (grocery store, pharmacy, game stop, toy store, post office, etc) during school hours, though we do not avoid field trips. I find that the more serious I am about educating my daughter, the more seriously people take our homeschooling, if that makes sense. I'm not saying we never play hookie from school, but we do not skip a day without good reason, or change our plans during schooling hours because it is convenient. School is top priority, we are busy getting an education, by golly, no time to watch your sick child, or wait for the plumber at your house, sorry.
    I realize that my views on this may seem harsh, but homeschooling is a lot of work, and if we, as homeschoolers, do not acknowledge the amount of time and effort it takes, we certainly can't expect anyone else to. Whew...let loose with a bit of a rant there, myself. Sorry!!

Linda
    Rep, Moderator, and...
    Homeschooler of 1 child for 4 years with Time4Learning~!

Bryan is offline Junior Member

I certainly understand how you feel ! I went through that last year during my first year of homeschooling my son ( 5th grade this year). By the beginning of this year i have pretty much made the ones who were giving me problems shut up. I found that my son didnt have the skills that he should have learned in 2nd and 3rd . I played catched up on all of it and taught him what was needed for the 4th grade . Just before summer started i decided to see if he could do 5th and 6th grade work without help. He was able to do it with ease. So when i hear people downgrading homeschooling i throw that in thier faces.He would still be behind in school and would have failed last year if i had not started to homeschool him.

Bryan,
    I am so glad you were able to catch you son up on the work he needed. I wouldn't recommend homeschooling for everyone, but for some families it is absolutely the right thing to do. It is great that you got to silence the naysayers. I used to be a naysayer, and that is part of the reason I feel like I have to take our homeschooling so seriously. I don't ever want any one to be able to say we are slacking off!

It's great to have you on the forum!j
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

tmulleady is offline Junior Member Newbie

I am starting to homeschool my two sons this year and it is unbelievable the attitudes that I have gotten from everyone! People seem to think that all I do is sit around and goof off. I have one child with several behavioral disorders and the other one likes to copycat him. My own family have questioned my ability to handle homeschooling. I keep getting asked how I am going to handle my son, having him with me ALL DAY?? WTF? They are my sons and I like being with them and I am handling the stress of not getting breaks from the boys by having a shopping day once a week. Every Saturday or Sunday afternoon I go out for lunch and do the grocery shopping and relax. The people that give me grief for homeschooling can get over themselves, so far we love this and we are doing great.

You go girl! So we need a break from our kids every now and then...it is much more healthy for all of us to have a little time to hit the reset button each week. I think some people don't like their own kids very much and so they don't enjoy being with them. I know a mother who takes every opporunity to get away from her children and when she is with them she either ignores them or yells at them. It is stressful for other people to be around her. I think your answer is great, schedule some "you time" even if it is the grocery shopping and lunch. My "me time" is not so regular, but when I show signs of needing it, everyone in the house is more than willing to give it to me.
    Best of luck with your homeschooling adventure!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!