What does a typical week "look" like at your house?
    dancersummer is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default What does a typical week "look" like at your house?

For us, it seems that no two days are alike! Lately we have many activities going, so sitting down with books has taken a back seat. Here's a break down of our week, for the most part, right now:
    Monday: Assess "book" work for the week.
    One hour reading time, one hour spelling/writing time, one hour math/science/social studies time.
    4-6pm Nutcracker rehearsal (until December)
    Tuesday: One hour reading time, half hour spelling/math time, half hour math/science/social studies time
    1:30 - 3:30pm Homeschool Sports at local gym
    Wednesday: 11am - 4pm Homeschool Co-operative
    Thursday: One hour reading time
    12pm - ? Homeschool playgroup
    Friday: One hour reading time, one hour spelling/math time, one hour math/science/social studies time
    Hit me back with yours!
    Summer
    "We are the lighthouses in the storm and people are guided by our lights, whether we know it or not.
    Just by simply BEING, we are changing the world."

http://peacefulbeginnings.wordpress.com

Joy0117s is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: What does a typical week "look" like at your house?

wow ! Well Let me start with this I have a mentally ill Sister and a handicapped Mother living in my home that i take care of as well as A Child with disabilities.The first thing i have learned is trying to establish a routine is near to impossible with so many demanding needs of each of them .I decided to sit up a classroom in my house ,It seems to let my challenged child to understand this is school and he needs to sit and listen and learn .I have two kids I homeschool ages 7 and 9.We start our day with handwriting pratcice since both of them have horrid writing skills .so we write for 30 minutes about things we like to do ,go ,want to be etc.and we share with everyone our writes. then we move on to math i like to get it out of the way early b/c they are more restless as we progress into the day.we move on to reading then to lunch and playing outside then Sicence and social studies wich we do on T4L.I bought them each their own laptops to do their work on and they love it .We do Spelling words for Jessey and sight words for Trevor .Then they are allowed to go back on T4L and chose what they want to do .They love it so much it's like playing to them .I wish I had started out on this program 4 years ago!

dancersummer is offline Junior Member Newbie

You certainly have your hands full! I'm all for whatever works for each family, heck ~ whatever works for each CHILD! I should clarify that we are not always spot on with my "plan" for the week, sometimes we go several weeks without following it at all...except for the rehearsals, which are non-negotiable.
    Anyone else want to give us a peek??
    Summer
    "We are the lighthouses in the storm and people are guided by our lights, whether we know it or not.
    Just by simply BEING, we are changing the world."

http://peacefulbeginnings.wordpress.com

Ravenmarie is offline Junior Member Newbie

LOL I can relate to Joy in more ways then one. I am named Joy for better or worse.
    I have a learning challenged son with ADHD (13), a brainiac daughter (6), and a severely brain damaged little boy (5). I would love a schedule but we usually go with the flow and pray. I read on some of the other forums about noise reduction headphones and will look into purchasing a pair. I hope that if they can not hear the nurse and therapist in the house we can develop a schedule. So I hope that more will post their schedules here so I can get some ideas on what might work with my wonderful chaos.
    Joy, Emerson, Kitrina, and Victor

Just remember it could be worse, you could have a jellyfish stuck to your bottom.

Bobbi Gregory is offline Junior Member

6:30 Older kids leave for the schoolbus(isn't that insane?)
    6:30-7 Mom drinks coffee and kiddos watch cartoons
    7-7:30 Breakfast, clean up kitchen, take dogs out and swing on the swings(they could do something else outside but they don't)
    7:30-11 or 11:30 down to the schoolroom and work on our lessons. One does computer time while the other works with mom...then they switch. We are working through a curriculum called expedition earth together...its fabulous. In one week my k'er can name all the continents and oceans.
    11-12 lunch...I'm going to start playing an audiobook during this time...if they like it
    12-1 playtime
    1-3 naptime(if I'm lucky)
    and on and on....we are still new enough at it that any variance throws everything off but I have been sticking to my guns about getting school done before anything else....then we'll go and visit grandparents or do errands instead of playtime/naptime if we need to.

amom2go is offline Junior Member Newbie

Monday: Assess "book" work for the week.
    One hour reading time, one hour spelling/writing time, one hour math/science/social studies time.
    4-6pm Nutcracker rehearsal (until December)
    Tuesday: One hour reading time, half hour spelling/math time, half hour math/science/social studies time

Is that one hour PER subject ? ie..one hour Math one hour Social Studies? or is that combined?

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Amom2go,
    Some of the posts in this thread are pretty old, so I'm not sure if you will get a reply to your question from the original poster.
    I'll give you a peek at our school day, we are much more...er... relaxed.
    We start school sometime between 9am and noon. My daughter ADHD/gifted/sleep disorder and so some days she can't function at 9am, it all depends on when or if she actually gets to sleep at night. She needs to do 13 activities on Time4Learning. That can be any combination of lessons, quizzes, chapter tests, as long as she does somewhere near 13 per day. She is doing 6th/7th grade work, and her core curriculum (math, social studies, language arts) is through T4L. We try to do an art lesson, a music lesson, spanish lessons 3-4 times per week. We also do a text book based science curriculum and I'm not sure it is hard enough because she has completed 2 chapters in 2 weeks. ( we already finished what Time4Learning has available for science!).
    Depending on how late my daughter gets up, and how focussed she can be, we generally do about 6 hours of school per day. We school year round, so some days we do more, some times we do less. Flexibility is the name of the game for us!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

jlsims357 is offline Junior Member

Here is a look into my schedule for my 6 and 3 year old
    Monday - full day of school - Table work we start with God every day saying a prayer, then copy a scripture. Then its T4L printouts for LA then penmenship and Spelling. Then Math T4L printout along with some other math work from one of those big books you can buy at walmart. by then its time for lunch and a much needed break (from my 3 year old who also does school we work on identifying shapes, letters (big and little), numbers, flash card - he is good to sit at the table with us for about an hour then he is off)
    Tuesday - Ladies bible study from 9-11, Lunch in the car, Homeschool Co-Op from 12-430, Dinner in the car (we have an hour commute)
    Wednesday - Full day of school See mondays schedule
    Thursday weeks 1 and 3 - MSA (Moms Set Appart) its a great community for Moms that my church has put together. We learn about God and teachins for Mom's and Wives and our kids also have a curriculum of bible, art, pe, music (count as school).My Daughter will do Religion and Spelling there then go to her class. Lunch. then home to do a 1/2 day of school just T4L.
    Thursdays Weeks 2 and 4 - Library - My Daughter will do Religion and Spelling there then we will pick out some books and moview. Lunch with friends. then home to do a 1/2 day of school just T4L.
    Friday a full day of school
    I plan out a month of school and work in 3-5 days of vacation every month so that non of us gets burned out. Its like having a 3 weeks work schedule and then a weeks off I just don't like taking a full weeks of each month but a day here and a day there works out great.