what is the state requirement
    Unregistered Guest

Smile what is the state requirement

how many hours a day do they have to do school work how many in a semister i am new to home schooling my sons first day is tomorrow he is in 8th grade.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Hi!
    Welcome to Time4Learning. Here is the inforation I can give you regarding homeschooling in Missouri.
    1. a)1000 hours of instruction, in a school year.
    b)600 hours of these hours must be in the 5 core subjects.
    c)400 hours of the 600 hours must take place at the "regular homeschool location".
    2. You must meet those requirements within a 12 month or less period.
    3. The core subjects are Reading, math, socal studies, language arts, and science.

Additionally:
    1. You must keep a record or log of daily activities that are counted toward the 1000 hours,
    2. AND, you must keep a portfolio of the students work
    3. AND, you must have records of appropriate evaluations...

You must keep these records (this will be your defense if your son is ever brought up on truancy charges, or other investigations BUT unless requested, you do not have to present them or turn them in to anyone.

Finally, you may, "For the purpose of minimizing unnecessary investigations" provide to the recorder of deeds of the county your child lives in, or the chief public school officer, a written declaration of your intent to homeschool withing 30 days of starting homeschool and on September 1st every year thereafter.
    According to HSLDA, the filing is completely optional, may compromise your privacy (because thi info is open to the public) and may "occasionally cause a family to be investigated"...

I take this to mean...keep good records, and stay below the radar. However, if yo do not file a letter with the school, you might get on the radar by your child racking up absences (though he will actually not be absent because he is in homschool).

I know this seems like alot of info, read it over, and feel free to ask any questions you might have. I can point you toward specific resources regarding the law if you need them. Just remember that this is not giving you legal advice since I am not a lawyer

I hope this helps!

Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Unregistered Guest

Smile

I was just reading the posts here (new to homeschooling) and trying to get acquainted with everything. I already had all of the information regarding hours, records, etc. I noticed in your statement that you said you do not have to present any of this to the state - are you serious (!!?!!) - I assumed that at least something had to be sent to the state, like a record of hours per month or grade placement, or something. My children are only 4 yrs. and 6 yrs. so I'm keeping records this year just to be safe and to have a good system going for next year when my oldest will be 7 yrs. So, let me get this straight. Your records are really just for you and if someone comes to investigate?
    Does that happen?

My next question: Right now I'm keeping a portfolio of what I deem to be important materials to show progression (handwriting, research projects, tests, etc.) in binders for each child. And then I have my lesson plans for each week and separate time sheet for each week to show the minutes per subject and then a weekly total, and a core total. How long do I have to keep these records? Forever? A few years back? Just for the current year?

That may be all for now! Thanks!
    Kristi

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Kristi,
    I can only provide you with the information that I found in my research. But, yes, apparently the record keeping is for your benefit, and for your defense should you get investigated. Better safe than sorry, right?

As for how long to keep the records, if it were me, I would keep them for as long as I lived in the state and homeschooled, or graduation, whichever came first.

Remember to include in your hours things like PE (bike riding?, playing ball games in yard, jump rope?), health and hygiene (instruction on good handwashing, teethbrushing, grooming, etc), and things that are considered everyday life like cooking and cleaning. Remember that in public school there are days when the kids are instructed on fire safety, fire drills, stranger safety, etc. Learning address and phone number can be part of those lessons.

I'm sure that people are investigated, I don't know anyone personally, but I'm sure some people are. The best way to stay off the radar is to be occupied with school during school time, don't be obviously out running errands during school time, make sure that you are legal with the state (you have it easier than some families because your children have not been in the system yet, so you don't have to remove them). Keep good records, and make progress in their education and you should be fine.

Best of luck and happy homeschooling!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!