who do we show/turn in our records to?
    Shawniegore Guest

Question who do we show/turn in our records to?

Mo law states that we "must maintain the following records: written record indicating the subjects taught and the activities engaged in with the student, A portfolio containing samples of the student's academic work, and a record of evaluation of the student's academic progress. My question is, who do we show these records to? Who does the evaluations? When do evaluations occur?

I am new to the HS scene. I have a son who will be going into 4th grade this year, and has Autism. He is very 'high functioning', but school has always been rough for him. He always made straight A's, but it was the social and stimulus overload that really does not work well for him. For us, HS really is the better option. Mo's laws seem pretty easy, I just need some additional info to get us started.

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Shawnie - Kansas City, MO (clay county)

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

I have to tell you honestly that I can not find out who does the evaluation, or where you submit your records. From everything that I have read (I do not reside in Missouri, myself, and I cannot give you legal advice) it says that you must keep the records, and the written records are proof necessary in case of prosecution. I cannot find where you must submit these to the school board, or other governing authority. I would suggest to be on the safe side, that you contact the board of education and ask the question as to where to submit, point blank.
    I'm so sorry that I was not able to give you a more concrete answer.
    Anybody have an answer for Shawnie??

Homeschooling sounds like a great choice for you and your son, please let us know how things go...
    Happy homeschooling!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Robin is offline Senior Member

Missouri law says: Home schools must maintain (but do not need to submit) the following records

http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/missouri.pdf

I would assume that you are keeping these records, "just in case."

If you still have questions, I would definitely find a local homeschooling group/organization.

Thanks for chiming in Robin!!
    Linda

shawniegore Guest

Ahhh, ok. That makes more sense. I was thinking that you had to keep the records and turn them in yearly to help the state track progress and ensure you're doing the requirements and 1000 hours. Thanks for your input everyone. I'd be lost w/o you!!

Cami Powers is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hello Everyone! I'm down here in Farmington, MO. St Fran Co. Originally from Independence. Fort Osage Indians! Woot! First time Home School Family. One child. 7 year old little angel/devil boy named Kegan Tra < Septo Optic Dysplasia-Optic Nerve Hypoplasia, Dystonia with Segawa Syndrome, Hypothalmic Dysfunction, Temperature Instability, von Willebrands Disease/ Factor VIII Clotting Disorder , High Functioning Autism, All Around Good Looks Inherited From His Mother !>
    Miss Shawnie,
    This will be my second grader's first year of HS'ing also. And for the same reason's. He is high functioning and is very bright, as I am sure your kiddo is, but he just doesn't seem to be quite up to speed socially yet. He wants to play and relate to the other children so badly but you can see that they are starting to see how different he is and he is starting to realize that he sticks out also. Another problem we have had is (and this is unreal) TEENAGE kids on his bus calling him a "retard". (To me, that word is no different than the vile " n -word" the gay slur " f-word" etc) And rather than see him bullied and lose his spark for learning, we are going to try to HS and see if we can't give him a chance to mature some more and learn more social skills.

That said, I am also a HS'ing virgin. He he. I was unable to find where we were required to " turn in" our lesson plans and time logged yearly either. So I called a teacher friend of mine and she said that the logs are in case of truancy questions or concerns.

The only thing that confused my friend and I, was this :

(1) As used in sections 167.031 to 167.071, a "home school" is a school, whether incorporated or unincorporated, that: (a) Has as its primary purpose the provision of private or religious-based instruction; (b) Enrolls pupils between the ages of seven [and sixteen] years and the compulsory attendance age for the district (see 167.031.6 below), of which no more than four are unrelated by affinity or consanguinity in the third degree; and (c) Does not charge or receive consideration in the form of tuition, fees, or other remuneration in a genuine and fair exchange for provision of instruction; (2) As evidence that a child is receiving regular instruction, the parent shall, except as otherwise provided in this subsection: (a) Maintain the following records: a. A plan book, diary, or other written record indicating subjects taught and activities engaged in; and b. A portfolio of samples of the child's academic work; and c. A record of evaluations of the child's academic progress; or d. Other written, or credible evidence equivalent to subparagraphs a., b. and c.; and (b) Offer at least one thousand hours of instruction, at least six hundred hours of which will be in reading, language arts, mathematics, social studies and science or academic courses that are related to the aforementioned subject areas and consonant with the pupil's age and ability. At least four hundred of the six hundred hours shall occur at the regular home school location;

So 600 hours for the core subjects and at least 400 of those hours must be at our home school location. So 200 hours could be in another location? And the total 1000 hours? What about the other 400 hours? Music? Arts? Physical Education? IS that what's being implied?
    Please don't think I'm stupid. I'm just very lost with this and want so much to get this right for my Kegan. As I'm sure all of you want for your kiddo's.

I suspect I will be needing a great deal of hand holding this coming year.

Hello and welcome to T4L and homeschooling. We, most assuredly, do not think you are stupid. Each and every one of us were brand new to homeschooling at some point!!
    I think the hour requirement of 600 in core subjects, 400 of which must occur at your primary homeschool location is to keep you from going to the zoo every day, claiming it is science, and not doing anything else
    The safest way to ensure that you are covering all of the subject matter to be compliant with the law is to double check the scope and sequence/lesson plans of the grade your child would be in. Time4Learning shows the scope and sequence lesson plans for each grade and each subject that T4L covers. You can find that information here. This information is standards based and so should be applicable to Missouri. You might be able to find the state specific scope and sequence on the Missouri Department of Education for each grade. I could only find an example of the draft of the scope and sequence for science on the site.
    I hope this helped. Stop by the forum any time you like, we don't mind hand holding if you need it, or a shoulder to cry on, or giving a pat on the back for a job well done when you need it!!
    Happy homeschooling!
    Linda

Unregistered Guest

Default showing records

Hello,
    I am beginning my second year of homeschooling and know it is tough digging into the law and understanding it. I researched with HSLDA (HomeSchool Legal Defense Assoc)about MO law (don't have to join to research, I didn't). It also helped to get help from a local homeschool support group to help understand. There is also FHE (families for home education) which is a group in MO that lobbies for home ed. This is the link for HSLDA

http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/Missouri.pdf

By law the only one that can request to see your records (which we must maintain but not submit) is the prosecuting attorney. If you would be reported to soc services for ed neglect you can show your hourly log but you do not have to show your other records.
    As far as evaluations, the parent can give these evaluation which can be as simple as chapter tests. In MO we can choose to have
    our children take standardized tests or not.

1000 hours of which 600 have to be core subjects(reading, writing, rithmatic, etc), 400 hours at home, you can have more than 600 but not less. The other 400 hours are what I would consider the fun stuff, PE, music, art, home ec, life skills, religion.

Another site I found very helpful is missouri homeschool daily log, Missouri Homeschool Daily Log.

Thanks for the input. Your evaluation of the law is pretty much what I read, but I didn't want to give anything that vaguely looked like legal advice. Thanks for the links, I'm sure these will help other Missouri homeschoolers.
    Linda