Working outside of the home
    njohnson78 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Working outside of the home

Hi everyone!

Does anyon work outside of the home and successfully homeschool? I am employed full time, and decided that with my daughters safety and emotional well being comprised to remove her from the public school she was attending. She is in the 8th grade and was getting very good grades.

If you do work outside of the home, can give me an idea on how you homeschool successfully with this program. She will be starting in January.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Hi, and welcome to Time4Learning!

I believe I got an email from you also, though I can't seem to reply to it! I'll try to answer all your questions here!
    Time4Learning offers Language Arts, Language Arts Extensions, and Math for 8th graders. Additionally, there is an Algebra program you can request, and Art, which is a great course ( My daughter is 7th grade and has worked through the Art course 3 times in 3 different grades, getting something new each time)
    For science and social studies in 8th grade, Time4Learning does not offer the courses, but most people simply use the previous year's curriculum for science and social studies and make sure that their child does some extra independent work, and maybe some research (on the internet or library), and does the experiements. Another place that you can find additional language arts work is at Vocabulary and Spelling City.

I know that there are many parents who work outside of the home and successfully homeschool. For more directed information from other parents in your situation you might check out the The Working Parent Forum within Time4Learning.

If you trust your daughter to be responsible at home, alone, and do her school work as intructed by the program, then she should be able to work on it during the day, holding questions, or issues until you return home. The Time4Learning program is very student friendly, and self-paced.

As for the 400 hours at the homeschool location...I would never encourage you to break the law, or even stretch the bounds of the law, but I have never actually figured out how "they" know where the student is schooling. If it were my daughter, home alone for school during the day, when I was out of the home, my instructions would be to NOT answer the door, so even if the school board had people checking, it would look as if she was not at home. Missouri asks you to keep records, record hours, etc, but you do not have to turn them in to anyone.

I'm sure that you could come up with 400 hours of education at the primary homeschool location and still bring her to work with you on occasion, maybe not everyday, but I think it is managable.

I hope that this answers some of your concerns both here and in your email. If you have further questions, please feel free to ask and we will do our best to answer them.

Best of luck!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

CallieB is offline Junior Member Newbie

I work evenings and at night and homeschool during the day. I am super busy and tired but it's worth it.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Hi CallieB!
    I work from home, but also evenings and nights, and homeschool during the day. Sometimes that makes for one very tired mama!
    I have to agree about it being worth it, we have been homeschooling since the middle of 1st grade (my daughter finished 6th grade today! and has been working on 7th grade work in some courses since the start of the school year). I cannot image any other way of educating my daughter now, (though on days when I'm really tired, and she is particularly difficult, the subject of military academy does come up!)
    Good luck with homeschooling and hope to see you around the forum!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!