Introduce yourself!
    shanedonna is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Introduce yourself!

Hi!

I'd like to get an idea of who we have on the New Hampshire board. Please post how long you've homeschooling, and a rough idea of what you use for curriculum (obviously, including T4L ) Also please say your location (approximate is fine, ie: Seacoast, Lakes, etc.)

I'll start: We've been "officially" homeschooling for 3 years, but we did an unofficial year prior to that, which we called kindergarten at the time, since he was 5.

We use a mixture of things: Time 4 Learning, Head Sprout Reading, Right Start Math, and AVKO Sequential Spelling. The rest (science, etc) we fill in with library materials, web based stuff, local co-ops, etc. My son appreciates hands on learning the most, so we try to make things that way as much as possible.

We're in the Manchester area, and are lucky enough to have several groups we can get together with for additional learning and fun.

Donna

3isles is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: Introduce yourself!

Hi Donna
    my name is Cathy and I am in Londonderry. I started homeschooling my 12 y/o ds this fall. we are struggling as I have never been good at setting up schedules, only working within them...and my ds is sweet but just very quietly drags his feet and avoids work if I don't sit right on him. I just signed up for a month of time4learning. I am hoping this will help. Even with this though I really don't know where to start. If things don't improve with us I am afraid I will have to put him into middle school after the new year...

Cathy,

It's likely that your son is suffering from burn out & needs to "de-school" for a while. Remember that homeschooling frequently isn't "school at home" for a lot of folks. Find out what your son is excited about & learn about that. Say, for example, he's really into airplanes: take a field trip to the airport, build some models (math!) Go to the library and find books about planes, their history, etc. The goal is to get him excited about learning by using something that he already loves. This type of learning is called unit studies, and can be adapted for lots of stuff.

The most important thing to remember is that you are providing an eduction that is individualized for your child, and that may be NOTHING like what the school is doing, or indeed, what other homeschoolers are doing. I like T4L as my guide, so that I know that I'm somewhere in the ball park with what we're doing, but I'll tell you, the other day, I heard a 7 year old spout off about one of Newton's Laws of Motion, and she knew formulas! We're not at that level, by a long shot, but you know what? That's ok, because my child is a different person than that child and he's learning, that's what matters.

Let's get you hooked up with some local moms for some other ideas! You're lucky enough to be totally SURROUNDED by TONS of terrific homeschoolers. Have you checked out the SHARES group yet? That's the Londonderry group. They meet every week for social time at the playground & are very supportive. I am sending you their email address through PM.

busymomof4 is offline Member

Hi Donna,

I have been homeschooling for about 6 years total. We have used Sonlight, saxon, alpha omega, different workbooks, spelling city.... I think that is it. T4L was an answered prayer. I was looking for something that I could get the kids excited about and would be comprehensive. My oldest daughter struggles with it but my other two homeschooling children love it. I am not sure if my 14 year old is really struggling or just doesn't want to do the work. She has been going through some teen growing pains this year. I would really like to continue to homeschool through high school but I am not sure. I want to make the right decision. College is definitely the goal.

I live about 30 minutes east of Concord off of Route 4. We did belong to a support group for a short time but we had to stop for awhile and they have since stopped meeting. I have though of trying to find another group. I have been looking online. I just want to find the right fit.

It is nice to see others on the New Hampshire board.
    Chris

Wife to Wayne and Mommy to Emily(15), Connor(12), Taylor(7), and Brady(2)

Hi Chris!

Yes, it is nice to see others on the NH board. I, personally, don't know which groups are in your area, but there are a few groups I know of from Concord on down. The group I like the most is Relaxed Homeschoolers of New Hampshire. They're all spread out in Southern NH right now, but it's growing all the time. The main thing they do is field trips & social activities, and we're constantly meeting new people. It's very nice. Let me know if you're interested, and I'll tell you more.

I know what you mean about children being resistant sometimes. We go through periods when he doesn't want to do a particular thing, then, suddenly, he's all over it & can't get enough. Sometimes, it works the other way, too, argh! I wish I knew what to tell you about your 14 y/o...it's a tough age! I remember my daughter being so upset with me & I usually had no idea why. My solution was to just hug her. Nine times out of ten, it did the trick...she'd burst into tears, hug me back & the crisis was over. Hormones, not fun! Hang in there, mom!

Donna

busymomof4 is offline Member

Hi Donna,

I would like some more information about the support group. I think I would like to be doing some field trips. We haven't done a lot of that and I think the kids would really like that.

Thank you for the words of encouragement. It is hard to talk to people who don't homeschool when they think I am crazy for even wanting to be around my kids all day. I know this is the best decision for my family so I just need to keep plugging away.
    Chris

Wife to Wayne and Mommy to Emily(15), Connor(12), Taylor(7), and Brady(2)

Chris,

I just sent you an email with the specifics of that group.

I know what you mean about non-homeschoolers looking at you like you've got three heads (in your case, 5 ) Totally agree about making the best decision for your family...I sometimes have to remind myself a couple times a day!

Donna

mariebrmn is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi,

My name is Marie, and we live in Rochester, NH. My husband and I have two kids, Jasmine 8 and Saul 5. We have been happily homeschooling since kindergarten for Jasmine. We've always wanted to homeschool before we had our kids, due to our close friends who were homeschoolers. We lived in Philadelphia at the time, and we were so impressed with our friends' kids. Without our friends, we wouldn't have considered about homeschooling and how much in line it is with what we would like for our own family: customized education for each child according to their talents and interests.

I work double shifts on weekends as a nurse aide at a rehab center and also taking classes to get further in the healthcare field. My husband teaches college courses online and on campus in the evening. Our schedules enables one of us to be with the kids for their day. I found time4learning through my internet research, and I'm so happy we did. Jasmine's been at T4L since kindergarten, and my son is so happy he now gets his own time at T4L. We also do creativityexpress.com for art education. I go through amazon.com to get used books to supplement - T4L is a great base curriculum for us. I would say our homeschooling style is relaxed and incorporates Charlotte Mason's philosophies.

We've been regularly networking with Seacoast area homeschoolers until late this Fall when we moved to our new house in Rochester. Plus, during the winter we are pretty much homebuddies and at this time we are very studious. I am so happy for this NH board and I appreciate Donna for her role as moderator. I hope to get to know new and present homeschooling friends who also use T4L.

Take care,
    Marie