Looking for Friends
    Madebyme is offline Junior Member Newbie

Cool Looking for Friends

We have been unschooling for the past 3 yrs. and I have home schooled my middle and youngest son / both now grown. We are new to T4L and our area which is Manchester NH we moved here from FL back in Oct. of last yr. We are looking to make some friends in our area since we know absolutely no one. My daughter is 12 and since she has been unschooled for the past 3 yrs. is in a different grade level depending on the subject. She has been wanting a more structured education and I know many moms who homeschool who recommended T4L. This is how we ended up here I am truly hoping we can find some parents and children to interact with from time to time. She has been feeling a bit lonely with the move and everything. Thanks for reading and please let me know if your in our area and interested in possibly meeting up at some point. Have a wonderful day!

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Welcome to Time4Learning! Since you are new here might I suggest you check out the 4-8th grade forum, and the high school forum if you want to. What grades did you sign up for? I don't live in your area but have a 13, soon to be 14 year old daughter who is doing 8th and 9th grade work. Again, welcome!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

SelfStdyScholar is offline Junior Member Newbie

Sorry we don't live nearby! I saw that you are in NH, and we are in HI, about as far as you can get.

My son is 10 and my daughter 7. I am pushing my kids a bit hard at the moment. My daughter is rushing through the Language arts, and I will need to slow her down a bit and get her to do more writing and handwriting... she hates it. I have a number of ideas on things I would like to do with the kids, but I have been trying to get the basics off and running smoothly first. Then my son tested badly on some 4th grade math, and he needs to re-do a bunch of it before he digs further into the 5th grade math. He has ADD and does some things a bit slowly to begin with, so that's an extra bit of complication.

One project I want to do is a library/research project. When I was in school we covered the Declaration of Independence, but the list of grievances was long and we just touched the high points. I'd like to go through it with a fine toothed comb and research each and all of them to see what was going on at the time and why the people felt some of these things ( which we hardly mention in history class) were important at the time. I don't know how interested the kids will be, but I'd like to know myself!

Like yours, my girl is in multiple grade levels. She is in 2nd grade math but she expressed frustration with how preschool-easy a lot of the Language Arts were, so I moved her up to 3rd grade LA and we are reviewing the 2nd grade phonics classes. I will also be having her write short stories using the phonics that are assigned in 2nd grade. I think I will have to push her hard on writing and spelling. I saw the science that they give to 2nd graders and hated it. She already did life cycle of the butterfly. I have her in a 4th grade physical science class instead. It's hard and it takes her more than one try, but she is getting it. I'd rather push her to try harder than have her bored.

The kids have been cooped up quite a bit this summer, but I am making a point of giving them some time off each week.

I have a ton of printouts now and I'm sorting out how I want to organize them. I had started one "system" and it isn't working out. I think I can do better, but I'm still feeling my way. Ideas?

Unregistered Guest

Default Just starting

Quote Originally Posted by MamaToHerRoo View Post
    Welcome to Time4Learning! Since you are new here might I suggest you check out the 4-8th grade forum, and the high school forum if you want to. What grades did you sign up for? I don't live in your area but have a 13, soon to be 14 year old daughter who is doing 8th and 9th grade work. Again, welcome!
    I have a 13 year old granddaughter that attended public school the first part of the year then we moved her to a online public school. She was already behind since we moved from florida to georgia and soon after got pneumona. So it was a time limit to finish. We were told that if she passed language arts and math she would pass to the 8th grade. When it came time to take the last tests which were math and social studies she was sick again. Anyway she passed the language arts and science crct tests with high scores. The wanted her to do the complete 7th grade again. What is the setup to catch up with math or take the tests . thank you for your help kathryn shealy

gosselinfamily is offline Junior Member Newbie

We live in the Manchester area as well. The part of homeschooling we are worried about the most is making sure our daughter continues to socialize. Our daughter is 9 1/2. We are looking to make friends as well.

Cupcake32 is offline Junior Member Newbie

We live in concord nh and have a 12year old daughter who could use a good friend or two. I would love to get the girls together my email is [email protected]

beckybco Guest

Default Merrimack

Quote Originally Posted by Madebyme View Post
    We have been unschooling for the past 3 yrs. and I have home schooled my middle and youngest son / both now grown. We are new to T4L and our area which is Manchester NH we moved here from FL back in Oct. of last yr. We are looking to make some friends in our area since we know absolutely no one. My daughter is 12 and since she has been unschooled for the past 3 yrs. is in a different grade level depending on the subject. She has been wanting a more structured education and I know many moms who homeschool who recommended T4L. This is how we ended up here I am truly hoping we can find some parents and children to interact with from time to time. She has been feeling a bit lonely with the move and everything. Thanks for reading and please let me know if your in our area and interested in possibly meeting up at some point. Have a wonderful day!
    Hi! We are in Merrimack and also recently moved here from FL! I have a 13 year old daughter that just decided to start homeschooling. She is very worried about friends and making friends that she has things in common with. Feel free to email me at [email protected]. We have 4 kids but only three are homeschooling so far...I am not sure how much longer she will last though.

Default Mom

litchfield, just moved from Nashua son 13

Contra dancing Guest

Default Contra dancing is great!

I completely understand the need to maintain social skills while home schooling, and I've finally found the greatest way to safely do so. Contra dancing is a wonderful social event that is active, friendly, and very welcoming of all ages and abilities. It even provides another interactive way to teach the area's history, because it is a traditional New England folk dance. Most dances happen on Friday or Saturday evenings, and they take place all across the state, including in Concord, Manchester, Londonderry, and Milford, which are all easily accessible from the areas each of you mentioned.

For information on specific dance dates, times, and locations, The Dance Gypsy website (The Dance Gypsy) is a great resource. Many dances have their own specific websites as well, and there are numerous YouTube and Facebook videos of past dances online. But as with anything, the best way to learn more is to come to a dance and try it out for yourself! Several of the dances already have home schooling families attending regularly, and it's a blast!