Assignments
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Assignments

T4LTraining is offline Junior Member

Smile Assignments

I thought using T4L would simplify things for me but I'm finding that things aren't as clear as I thought they would be. My student is doing well with manipulating everything but I don't quite understand the "Assignments" feature or "Odyssey Writer". Do the assignments from T4L appear in "Assignments" and is Odyssey Writer the place where the students complete their work? He has two writing assignments that he says he completed but they are not showing up under "Assignments". When I open OWriter only the instructions for the assignment pop up. Can I make assignments and if so, how do I get them posted in the T4L assignment space? I know this shouldn't be confusing but... well... I'm confused. Thanks for any help you can provide.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi. It sounds like you might not yet be familiar with your parent login account. The Assignments function was designed for classroom use (so a classroom teacher can make assignments for multiple students). Families and individuals use the Activity Scheduler, available within the parent login.

Log in to your parent account and select your student's name under Student Activity Schedule. Then click on Create/Access Activity Plans. You will see a place to generate a schedule based on your own goals and dates. You will also see links to help videos at the top, right. These explain how to use the Activity Scheduler. When you set a schedule as your student's default, a "Schedule" tab will appear at the top when he is logged in. He can look at that schedule to see what he must do and then check it off on the schedule when he has finished each activity. This will not affect what assignments show up for him. He will always have access to all the assignments. It's sort of like giving your student a textbook, but telling him, "Only read Chapter Six and answer the questions on page ten today."

The scheduler is fairly new, and some parents choose not to use it. You can simply look at the lesson plans and divide the number of activities in a subject by the number of days in your school year to get an idea of how many activities your child should do each day in that subject. Then, just tell your student something like, "Do two math, one language arts, one language arts extensions, two social studies and one science activity each day." The lesson activities are laid out in sequence.

Odyssey Writer will pop up when your student is given a writing assignment. It is a word processing program. He needs to click the "Hand In" icon at the top, right of the screen when he is finished. Then, he chooses a fictitious teacher to hand the assignment in to. This does not really hand it in to anyone. It just causes it to be marked as complete and to show up as a link in his reports. When you notice a link to an Odyssey Writer assignment in his reports, you can click on it to view and print the writing assignment. Parents grade these assignments manually.

If you are only seeing the instructions, look for little numbers at the lower, right. Clicking on these numbers navigates between "pages" of the Odyssey Writer assignment. Often the instructions are on one page and the assignment is on another. It's a good idea for your student to click the little icon at the lower, left of his work page that looks like two pieces of paper with an arrow between them before beginning to work on an Odyssey Writer assignment. This pastes the instructions into his assignment, so you can see them when you grade his work.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more clarification.
    BooneMom and cm97 like this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

lac.ddclc is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by hearthstone_academy View Post
    "When you notice a link to an Odyssey Writer assignment in his reports, you can click on it to view and print the writing assignment."

Hi. I just wanted to add that the N/A in the score column in the recent work tab of your reports becomes the link to your child's completed work. If you click the title of the Odyssey Writer assignment, it will take you directly to the activity prompt in Odyssey Writer.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by lac.ddclc; 09-28-2015 at 11:52 AM.

Great advice.Thank you so much!

Thanks for your excellent help!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

You are welcome! Navigating a new site can be a little confusing at first, so be sure to post again if you have more questions.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

What happens when they re-open assignment and look half blue, do they have to do it again?

lac.ddclc is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by clarita1373 View Post
    "What happens when they re-open assignment and look half blue, do they have to do it again?"

No. My son goes in all the time to modify his Odyssey Writer assignments or to review an activity after one of his less than stellar quiz performances but doesn't always officially finish the assignment to the end the second time around. They may show incomplete in the recent work tab, but the main reports still show them as complete.

dramos2006 is offline Junior Member

Thank you, this helped answer my question as well. I am very new to this website and homeschooling in general.

mickeyh97 is offline Junior Member

We are new to T4L. I have a senior in high school. I'm having trouble understanding the Reports page. What does it mean when there's an "N/A" in the Score column when she's completed an activity? In one course in the Status column it's green and red (passing/failing) and in another the only color shown is blue. And if the Status bar isn't completely filled with color, does that mean the activity is unfinished? If so, can she go back and complete it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast