Can't understand how homeschooling works in GA
    Reluctanths is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Can't understand how homeschooling works in GA

I am a mother of 2 who plans on switching from public school to homeschooling very soon, and hopefully, very fast. I have long been flirting with the idea simply because I find the quality of public education in the US (compared to what I grew up abroad) to be seriously lacking; and that includes school-districts rated top-notch. We live in one such area with a school rated 10, over-priced houses and all the bells and whistles of volunteerista moms, etc; but the curriculum, pedagogy and huge waste of time throughout the day are still what they are. My kids are always rushed, trying to stay on top of 100 things (including homework) after arriving back from school at 3:00 pm. The homework is often not assigned by the school but by me - in an attempt to correct and supplement the flimsy public school curriculum.

That being said, I haven't be able to make the decision to home-school because I have a full-time career, which despite being quite flexible and allowing me to work from home most of the time, is still demanding and time-consuming.

A series of events, however, have snowballed recently and have compelled us to accept that we will have to home-school, at least for a while, whether it will be difficult or not. I have a doctoral-level education, pedagogy is part of what I do for a living, so I feel more than qualified to handle the content of the job. In fact I have been doing a lot of it already in the form of "after-schooling".

The trouble is I have no idea what are the exact steps I need to take to make the transition. I just know that the state of GA requires home-schoolers to submit a Declaration of Intent. That seems to take 10 minutes to complete. And then?

Where do I go to pick a curriculum for the five areas involved?

• Mathematics,

• English Language Arts,

• Science,

• Social Studies, and

• Reading

We already have lots of materials at home but I assume the state requires the family to have a cohesive curriculum (certain textbooks?) to work by. I have kindergartners and a third grader.

Also, once you make the decision, is it possible to revert back and place the children again in public school later, if needed?

Please help us make the first steps as we need to switch as soon as possible!

Thank you so much!

noodlepower is offline Junior Member

Hi! I'm quite new to homeschooling myself. Actually we're still in transition. But anyway, I'm not familiar with Georgia laws. You can check with HSLDA. They have a summary on their website for each states' legal options.

As far as the children's curriculum is concerned, that is totally up to you. You decide what textbooks they use, if any. There are many different teaching methods out there so you have to decide what's best for your kids. I'm in Alabama and currently I'm piecing together my child's curriculum. We're usingT4L as our core curriculum and supplementing with workbooks from my local parent-teacher supply store. There are a lot of free resources out there too as far as curriculum goes.

T4L offers a free homeschool guide for download. It contains some really useful information in there.

Oh, yes, you can re-enroll your child into public school after being homeschool. Just make sure you keep up with excellent records of their grades and work. There are some places that offer standardize testing for kids that are homeschooled. It's a good way to see how your child is doing compared to other students in that age range. Plus that would be good to have if you're going to put them back in public school. Of course, it doesn't mean that the school will accept those test scores if you choose to re-enroll them in public school and they may test your child before placing them in class.

RhondaL is offline Junior Member

Georgia does not require the parents to submit a curriculum, so you can use whatever you want (or whatever combination of resources you want even if they are not part of a curriculum) you are not required to use a set curriculum as long as you cover the subjects required. GA requires 4 and 1/2 hours per day in a 180 day school year (days and times are up to you). You keep your attendance as part of your records and do not submit them to the DoE. Testing is every 3 years (at the end of 3rd, 6th, 9th and 12th) and (again) you keep the results for your records (they are not submitted to the DoE). You can check the DoE website or HSLDA to find out how many days you have to submit your Declaration of Intent after you withdraw the students from public school (it's either 10 or 30 days). I have been homeschooling my son since day 1 and at first we used a collection of workbooks (the spectrum collection) and things I found on the internet. In January of this year I discovered T4L and we have been using it exclusively since. T4L fulfills GA requirements on what they need to learn for each grade and you can always supplement additional material, reading, or subjects if you so choose.