Confused

Thread: Confused

gastelumraul1 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Confused

Good morning All.
    My son is 13 with a September birthday. He is currently in the 8th grade in a public schooll ready to graduate. I am going to have him repeat the grade due to lack of academic maturity. I will be homeschooling him.
    I'm confused,I have had numerous parents tell me that if my son was going to repeat,not to let him graduate middle school on stage and receive his middle school diploma.
    Please help.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Confused

That's probably up to the school since, until you begin homeschooling, they are in charge of his education. Usually, receiving a diploma indicates completion of the academic program (in this case, middle school). He might not be eligible for that ceremony if he didn't fulfill their requirements for graduation.

You have a great deal of flexibility when you homeschool. Once you have left the public school system, the fact that he didn't complete what his previous school wanted him to complete to "pass" eighth grade is a moot point. Remember that each school will have different requirements, so nothing is carved in stone. Are his language arts and math skills where they should be? I wouldn't hold my own child back because they couldn't memorize dates in history, for example.

When you homeschool, you can decide if he's ready to start high school or not. The best place to learn about homeschooling high school is Let's Homeschool High School.com.

These days, a student is usually considered to be "in" the grade level that corresponds to their age, even if they are working at different grade levels in each subject. It is fine for an eighth grader to be doing high school level science and sixth grade reading, for example. With Time4Learning, high school students can substitute some eighth grade courses for subjects in which they aren't quite ready for high school level work.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!