confused mom - i want to homeschool my 5 year old but the school is telling me i cant
    Stacy Saez is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default confused mom - i want to homeschool my 5 year old but the school is telling me i cant

hello parents,
    i am in the Queens area of NYC. my district office told me i can not home school my 5 year old. is this true? i refuse to let her go to her zone school as i have had many problems with that school with my older son. any help greatly appreciate.
    thank you

vinnys_mom is offline Junior Member

Hi Stacy,

There are many resources online regarding the laws and legal defense of homeschooling. Here is the information I found on the NY State page:

Home Schooling - Guidance and School Counseling - New York City Department of Education

HSLDA: Homeschooling Advocates since 1983 is another place to look.

On NYHEN: New York Home Educators' Network there was a brief snippet about homeschooling from ages 6-16, so that may be the hitch you are encountering. If there is something preventing (which is ridiculous) you from homeschooling at age 5... I would find out if it's even necessary to enroll at age 5. Is it a birthday issue or something?

Two of my kids (including the one we are currently homeschooling) were both enrolled early in relation to the other kids in their class because their birthday "just made the cut-off." Later, with the older one I was given the option to hold him back a grade because they decided he was not socially mature enough to start school... would have been nice if we had the option to not enroll him until the following year.

Do your research! There are many great resources out there, and from what it looks like there are a number of homeschool groups in NY as well.

Best wishes! Worst case scenario... move to Illinois, it's much less hassle.

Laurie

SandyKC is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stacy Saez View Post
    hello parents,
    i am in the Queens area of NYC. my district office told me i can not home school my 5 year old. is this true? i refuse to let her go to her zone school as i have had many problems with that school with my older son. any help greatly appreciate.
    thank you
    Check out the resources Laurie shared. On what basis is the school telling you you can't homeschool?? Some states have requirements like having to have a high school diploma, or having to submit educational plans, etc., before you can home school, but homeschooling is LEGAL in all 50 states if you meet the legal requirements. SO, your first step will be to find out what the legal requirements are in NYC, then go from there. ;-)
    SandyKC
    Veteran Homeschooling Mom and early adopter of T4L, Instructional Designer, Author, and Special Education Advocate @
    LearningAbledKids.com