Homeschooling & ADHD
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By bdponder83
  • 2 Post By mrssurre

Thread: Homeschooling & ADHD

bdponder83 is offline Junior Member

Default Homeschooling & ADHD

I'm considering homeschooling my son, who's in 3rd grade due to his ADHD. He is very smart and scores well above the minimum requirements for the 3rd grade, but is failing all subjects due to his lack of focus. He tells me all the time that he can not focus at school and he learns better from me, and to add to the problem he does have some social concerns when it comes to making friends. He is on medication, but its been over a year and a half and we still can't figure out the right medication/dose. I hate seeing him fail, when he is more than capable of succeeding. So my question is, Is there anyone out there that has started homeschooling just for this reason? How has it worked out? I'm just scared that I will make the wrong decision. Thanks for reading, if you made it this far! LOL
    lisah78934 likes this.

Hello! Oh how you and your son's story resonates with me! We just started homeschooling this year with our 5th grader after 4 solid years in public school, struggling with ADHD and the lack of creative support from the system. My son had the exact same issues -- could not stay focused in class, struggled with making friends, and was making terrible grades, despite actually knowing the material. I made the decision after 1 academic year of going through the system's hoops and having him tested, an IEP (Individualized Education Plan) put in place, and working through every single step of their process with both of his teachers and the Special Education teacher. Nothing improved for him except his annual standardized testing scores. He still hated school, still had anxiety attacks regularly, and life at home was still like walking on eggshells with him because he came home from school so exhausted and over-stimulated from trying so hard to keep it together for 7 hours that I knew it was time to bring him home.

My whole focus this year so far has been to reignite that love of learning and let him move at the pace he needs to through each subject, so that we can hopefully undo the damage the public system did to his confidence as a student. We struggled the first couple of months together, working through things that he had gotten so used to in public school like:
    1.) Just moving on to the next thing in a subject, even if he didn't fully grasp it the first time (Math and Reading were the main areas he struggled with this)
    2.) Testing in more non-traditional ways to make sure he was "getting" what was being taught. He thought if he didn't make a B on a test, that meant he was dumb. So I eliminated "tests" altogether those first couple of months, and would just give him quizzes covering shorter spans of material at a time and then go over the questions he missed with him, instead of just stamping a grade on it and filing it away.
    3.) The Hand Holding -- I call it this because in public school, since there are so many kids to one teacher, the system has it set up to where the kids are essentially spoon fed every single bit of info, activity, and cue for movement within their day. It serves its place as far as classroom management, but for my ADHD kid, flexibility and independent learning is what his brain craves. We still are working on this to some degree now. I've gotten him to where he can now get two or three subjects' worth of work done in a day by just giving him a color-coded checklist to move down. When we first started, he would expect me to give him prompts at the turn of every page just about to move on to the next worksheet, activity, chapter, etc. So he's gotten a bit more independent in these last few months.

I've probably given you way more info than you initially asked for, but my short answer would be... YES. Homeschooling has changed my son 180 degrees in just the 4 months we've been doing this. I, and he, can finally see a light at the end of the tunnel and are excited about learning again.

I wish you and your kiddo all the best!!
    haf_zan81 and lisah78934 like this.

bdponder83 is offline Junior Member

Thanks so much for replying and giving me some ideas on how to help him once we make the move to homeschool!

kareydawn76 is offline Junior Member

My story with my son sounds exactly the same as yours. We've just made the switch from public school to home school and I'm a bit nervous about it but excited as well to get started. My son is in 7th grade and has suffered a great deal at the hand of the system. I am so exhausted from it all so I can only imagine how he feels. I'm hoping he can regain his confidence and start to love learning. Best wishes to you on your journey, it's nice to know we're not alone in it all.

kmkk2230 is offline Junior Member

I am also thinking of taking my son who has ADHD and ODD out of the public system and home school him. Thank you for sharing your stories, you have helped me alot because it is hard when you are not sure if you are doing the right thing for your child or not. I know I am doing it with the right intentions, however the reaction I get from people when I tell them I am looking at my options for how to do home school for him I get responses that are not so great.

I have chosen to do the same . My son evan has ADHD and his school decided to have him home taught through home and hospital teaching and it was like a totally different child . His behavior problems at home decreased , his motivation towards school work changed , and his attitude about school changed. This has been a true blessing for my son .