How do you get a school curricum?
    blackonix76 Guest

Default How do you get a school curricum?

How do you lay out a plan for homeschool and meet school requirement?

sophiabowaus is offline Junior Member Newbie

This is also my question. I wanted to put my son on home schooling. Already asked our local education department however they do not have any idea. Well I saw one online but any one of you here already tried using their curriculum?

BASHhomeschool is offline Junior Member

Where you are may determine what you need to do because laws vary by state. I m lucky to live in Texas where homeschooling is not overly regulated. What I did was use the state standards as a base when starting out. I used it as somewhat of a checklist and developed curricula from that.

I did a mix of finding textbooks and workbooks I liked and looking online to piece together materials.

Now, I tend to stick with my math curriculum and work from books and online resources. We will study a particular subject and try to do hands on activities (Check Pinterest) and go on field trips related to the subject matter if available.

I would suggest finding a homeschool group in your area for support and advice. Take what works for you and your family and leave the rest. Remember, there are many different styles and philosophies out there.

Feel free to experiment and don't be afraid to just abandon a style, book, exercise, etc. that is not working for you.

mns473k is offline Junior Member

I too am wondering how to create an acceptable curriculum. I am considering taking my children out of public schools at the end of this school year. To me this is terrifying but at the same time, leaving them in their current school is more terrifying. I have no idea how to get started or more specifically how to create a curriculum for each of them. I want to use the least amount of textbooks possible and strive for the hands-on approach. Don't get me wrong, reading is essential but as an example: I would like to teach the color of the grass by walking on it instead of reading about it. If I could just figure out what I need to be teaching I shouldn't have a problem, except where math at high grade levels is involved.
    Could someone help with this?

countrymomof4 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Im new at this as well. Couldnt you use t4l as your curriculum and just add in the subjects they dont have. Im in texas also and everything iv read says they dont monitor homeschooling but you must teach reading,grammer,spelling, mathematics. Is this right?

Alexklaschools is offline Junior Member

i am also new on T4L, please help me out to find the curriculum. thanks