New to this
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By schoollife123

Thread: New to this

sukstap is offline Junior Member

Default New to this

Hello everyone,

We are new to homeschooling in Texas. We started today with my 6 y/o kindergartner- he is currently doing the first grade curriculum. We plan to home school him, his 4 y/o sister and our 13 y/o going to be 9th grader.

Any advice is welcome!

Thanks

Trish

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi Trish,

You are in one of the best states for homeschooling. From what I hear, Texas has the largest homeschooling community and the hs'ing regulations are not too stringent. It's a great place to homeschool.

My first suggestion, of course, is always to be aware of your state homeschooling laws. They vary from state to state.

My second suggestion is that you get connected with other homeschoolers by finding a homeschool support group that is a good fit for your family.

We've been homeschooling 15 years, and I want to say that our kids have grown up with the kids they met through our homeschool support group that we joined when we started homeschooling in Kindergarten. But really, it's not just the kids. We are friends as families. It's a community. Because we have so much in common through homeschooling, our friendships have lasted even when families have moved away (still keeping in touch).

Lastly, don't try to imitate school as we remember it (if you were not homeschooled). It's just a way of life. It's not sitting at a desk 6 hours or so. Enjoy it! Oh, and expect the bad days. We all have them. But having the kids in school is A LOT more stressful!

Oh, and this is a free Guide to Homeschooling for families who are new to homeschooling. I think you'll find it helpful.

I look forward to seeing you around the forums, Trish!
    Last edited by lovehmschlg; 05-11-2015 at 03:10 PM.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

schoollife123 is offline Junior Member

It's really hard not to homeschool like regular school. We are getting better though. One child has their laptop on the floor in the living room and since this child is always cold, has a blanket draped over themselves and uses the cordless mouse through the blanket. This child really loves that. Now mind you, we have an entire room for homeschooling. We have the desks all lined up in a row, we have bookshelves for all the books and posters all over and a teachers desk. Yeah, it does look like a classroom but we're starting to "school" in different areas of the house now. It's so nice not to have so many books to worry about as well with Time4Learning. Good luck and have fun!!!!!!
    lovehmschlg likes this.

Ashley987654 is offline Junior Member

Hi Trish,

Homeschooling is the good option you have chosen for your child's education. They will be safe in your hands and get education simultaneously. My child is being home schooled from past 4years because of bullying in the traditional school. Now, he is happily having his education at home and i will get my monthly reports from the online school. One suggestion is monitor your child's education and check the monthly reports sent by the school.

sukstap is offline Junior Member

Thanks, it is going well. We usually snuggle on the couch and do lessons as my 6 y/o still needs some help with his lessons. The 13 y/o is off and running with her freshman level studies and does it on her ipad usually in her room lying in bed

So far we are transitioning well. Now if I could just get my mom to understand!

Ashley987654 is offline Junior Member

It sounds good that you are helping your 6 y/o kid in his lessons and he is doing well with your help. But about your another kid, you should generate some interest in him about studies. Running with her freshman level studies and he is doing it on his bed lying means that is showing the level of bore he feels with studies. The lesson which he is listening doesn't go into brain when his spinal cord is lying on bed. It is scientifically shown like when spine is in the straight position that shows the interest and brain works smart and faster.
    Anyways, all the best.