New Homeschool Jitters
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Robin

Thread: New Homeschool Jitters

msdenisecrews is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New Homeschool Jitters

Hello guys,
    I am new to homeschooling. My daughter is seven years old and finishing up first grade at a PS. She will be homeschooled for second grade. I am so excited as I have always wanted to do this but my husband is a huge skeptic. Haha. The timing is right and the stars have aligned and I am finally able to do what I have always wanted with my baby. Since I am new, I guess I am looking for support, resources and an outlet to connect with other parents like me. While I am excited, I am completely anxious as well. My daughter is a very bright seven year old but has kind of struggled this year in ELA. She is very sensitive and thrives off of confidence. In our experience with PS, they rush our children to learn at a pace that may or may not be comfortable for them. If she did not master things quickly enough, she was reprimanded for it (ex. have to sit out of activities, told not to ask for help unless she is "bleeding or dying", time-out, note home etc) This had ruined her confidence and began to affect her emotionally. I learned that if I worked with her at home on things she had an issue with in class, she would learn it so quickly and be so excited and confident. I believe that ENCOURAGEMENT is key when teaching young children. Again, no one will love, protect and teach your child like you will so it just made sense after school meetings with no real change, to homeschool her. I am excited to join this forum, and hoping to connect with some awesome mommy-teachers!!

Happy Mom,
    Denise

Robin is offline Senior Member

Default Re: New Homeschool Jitters

Hi, Denise! And welcome. I had a similar experience with my daughter. It was an online public school, but when she had trouble with pre-algebra, they were no help. They just wanted her to get it done (their words) and were not concerned if she learned it. We tried public school for one year and online school for a few months. Traditional homeschooling has been the best thing we've ever done. We first started in 1999 (with my stepdaughter), and my 6-year-old (youngest) is going to the second grade.

Welcome aboard and feel free to drop in with any questions you may have about T4L or homeschooling in general!
    msdenisecrews likes this.