New to homeschooling, also from Texas
    annetteesquivel is offline Junior Member

Default New to homeschooling, also from Texas

Hello,

I must be doing something wrong when posting on this forum. This is my third attempt at posting. I have not yet even seen my first post.

I am new to homeschooling, my daughter is 7 and in 2nd grade.
    I'm feeling a little over whelmed. I'm not sure if I'm doing this right. I set up a schedule but not sure if I really need to. I was wondering if I have to add lessons for my daughter or just go with the scheduler?

The reason I'm hesitating is I don't want an absence to count against her if she doesn't login to do lessons everyday. Also, today was the first day she did some lessons but it doesn't show up complete in the reports but shows 100% on her quiz. I must be missing something. When she moves onto the next box, it shows a check mark on the ones she's already done but not in the reports. Ahhh! I feel like this may not be a good start to this.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Annette

annedaniels1983 is offline Junior Member Newbie

I am new to this homeschool thing as well and I have all the same questions as these. did u find any of the answers

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Annette, a person's posts won't appear until their first post has been approved. That will be within 24 hours (longer on weekends or holidays). After one post has been approved, your posts will appear right away.

Log in to your parent account, read some of the parent instructional material, and view some of the videos there. YOU are the teacher of record, so you make all the decisions. YOU decide on the schedule, and you do not have to see that your student logs in every day.

You can use the scheduler or not. It is an optional tool. Some parents let their students go at their own rate. Others tell the, "Do two language arts, one science, three social studies, and two math every day" (based on comparing the number of days in your school year to the total number of available activities in each subject).

The reports should mirror the checkmarks on the icons. Are you sure you are looking at the reports from within your parent login and not the gradebook? The gradebook is used for classrooms only.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

lfultz07 is offline Junior Member

I am also looking to homeschool my 7 year old son next year, and I wanted to see if you knew the Texas requirements for homeschooling. Everything that I have read says that texas does not recognize homeschooling and that you don't have to check in with like a superintendent or higher authority at all. Any advice or suggestions?

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lfultz07 View Post
    I am also looking to homeschool my 7 year old son next year, and I wanted to see if you knew the Texas requirements for homeschooling. Everything that I have read says that texas does not recognize homeschooling and that you don't have to check in with like a superintendent or higher authority at all. Any advice or suggestions?

Here is a page on Texas homeschool info. Also, you can read through this page, but this one is a little harder to read through with all of the legal speak, lol. https://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/texas.pdf

Looks like it's not that TX doesn't recognize homeschools, but more that they fall into a "private" school, and TX doesn't really monitor those. Ultimately, you don't have to have anything to do with the school board. Good luck!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!