Not homeschooling yet but getting there
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By noodlepower
  • 1 Post By noodlepower

Thread: Not homeschooling yet but getting there

noodlepower is offline Junior Member

Talking Not homeschooling yet but getting there

Well, I think I'm going to definitely go ahead and home school my DD. I'll be pulling her out of public school, which is kind of scary on one hand but totally liberating on the other. We've been using T4L for just a day or two now but I really like it.

In school, when I ask my daughter what she learned or did, the answer was always nothing and I literally would have to pull from her what she did during the day. However, due to a seriously bad migraine, I wasn't able to take my daughter to school.

I didn't even tell her to get on the computer but she did anyway and did quite a few lessons on the computer. I was so shocked. Normally, I have to literally threaten my daughter to do anything remotely related to schoolwork. But she got on T4L without being told and did her lessons!

And she even used some of the words she learned in a sentence.... although I'd rather it not have been the word careless. She even repeated to me what she learned in science! I'm so excited and I'm really starting to think, 'Yeah, I can do this.' I even stopped by the teacher-parent store and picked up a few workbooks that I thought would be awesome in assisting her. I saw some home school curriculums there that I might purchase too. I'm not exactly trying to go broke by teaching her at home. Do the companies who make these home school curriculums give free samples? I'd hate to spend so much money on a curriculum and it not work out for us.

The only thing I worry about now is keeping her social (because my daughter loves group activities and making new friends) while working full-time. I work outside the home and some days I end up working double shifts. Ah, I hope I can keep her social life going. The closest, active home school community is at least an hour's drive away from me. And it seems most of their activities happen during hours which I'm at work. That totally sucks.

I wonder, should I start a blog about my home school journey?

Ok, I'm sorry for this long and (maybe?) pointless post. I'm just so excited about everything and quite impressed with the T4L program and wanted to share!
    lovehmschlg likes this.

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

I love your post. You sound like a natural...and an excited homeschool mom. That makes for a good start. My input, yes, start a blog! Why not? You know, there are homeschooling moms out there making money with their blogs.

It's great that your daughter is enjoying Time4Learning. You don't say, but I'm guessing she's 3rd grade? I remember my daughter learning the word 'careless', I just don't remember if it was in 3rd grade. She loves her T4L, also. I never have to fuss with her to do 'school'.

I don't know of any companies that give free samples of their curriculum. But I know what you mean about it getting expensive. That's another reason I like T4L. I remember one time purchasing a history curriculum for my kids that cost me almost $200. I think we used it for a month...it's still under my daughter's bed. I've tried to sell it online, with no luck. At least with T4L, if it doesn't work for your child, you can cancel at anytime and you're not out a lot of money. Every child/family is different, and what may work for one, may not for the next.

Anyway, welcome to homeschooling and to Time4Learning. Looking forward to seeing you around the forums.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

noodlepower is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lovehmschlg3 View Post
    I love your post. You sound like a natural...and an excited homeschool mom. That makes for a good start. My input, yes, start a blog! Why not? You know, there are homeschooling moms out there making money with their blogs.
    Really? I've heard about people making money with blogging but I never quite understood how that worked. In any case, I've been working on my blog! I have my own domain that I used to post up some of my writing and random pieces that popped into head. But I created a sub-domain and set up my blog using the Wordpress software. I was having trouble trying to decide on a design but I'm content with what I have for now. I'm just want to blog about my experiences homeschooling and maybe if someone stumbles across it, my blog might have something to help them.

It's great that your daughter is enjoying Time4Learning. You don't say, but I'm guessing she's 3rd grade? I remember my daughter learning the word 'careless', I just don't remember if it was in 3rd grade. She loves her T4L, also. I never have to fuss with her to do 'school'.
    Great guess! Yep, she's in 3rd grade. Isn't it awesome not having to fuss with your kids about school? She gets on and then asks if she can play a game after she finishes her lessons. I'm loving it. Though, we did run into some problems. My daughter was typing in an answer and it kept telling her it was wrong. I was confused. She was confused. We were pretty sure it was the right answer. But I think she was spelling Scandinavia wrong.

I don't know of any companies that give free samples of their curriculum. But I know what you mean about it getting expensive. That's another reason I like T4L. I remember one time purchasing a history curriculum for my kids that cost me almost $200. I think we used it for a month...it's still under my daughter's bed. I've tried to sell it online, with no luck. At least with T4L, if it doesn't work for your child, you can cancel at anytime and you're not out a lot of money. Every child/family is different, and what may work for one, may not for the next.
    I guess if they offered free samples it'd probably cut into their sales. Ah well, I love the T4L curriculum. I am going to supplement it with other stuff though. I found these Houghton Mifflin Harcourt workbooks at the parent teacher supply store. I thought they were great. I liked the layout. The explanations are clear and concise. And more importantly, my daughter said she liked them. So, I'm matching up the workbook lessons to T4L to give her that little extra. Plus I came across this Tokyo Shoseki math curriculum. I was able to take a sneak peak of a sample lesson. I explained it to my daughter and she's actually adding much faster. So, I've decided to invest in that as well and its only like $25 for the textbook (which is only downloadable as pdf but no biggie).

Never thought that I would be putting together a curriculum for daughter but I'm really enjoying overseeing what she learns. At least this way, I know she's learning instead of hoping she's learning something.

Anyway, welcome to homeschooling and to Time4Learning. Looking forward to seeing you around the forums.
    Thank you!
    lovehmschlg likes this.