thinking of home schooling
    panda84 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Question thinking of home schooling

Hi everyone!

I am thinking of home schooling my daughter. She comes home upset very frequently about how other students treat her (not playing with her etc...). Last year we dealt with bullying and I am stressed to the max about my daughters self confidence and behaviors due to her treatment. I am concerned about home schooling because of the loss of interaction with other kids. My mother home schools my two younger sisters and they are very socially inadequate. So my questions are: has anyone noticed a delay or setback in how your children interact when they do get to play with other kids? How and where do your kids play with other kids? Is setting a schedule and keeping time for learning hard? I am a full time student in college and have a full time job and along with being a single parent, I am concerned majorly about time and my ability to teach my daughter what she needs to know. I know I can teach her, because I am educationally intelligent, but time may be an issue. My support group is very limited. Any friendly suggestions? Thanks in advance.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi! My kids have always been very active in organized sports, Scouting, 4-H, volunteering, part time jobs, classes within the community, and so forth. I've kept pretty much an open-door policy regarding friends. Their friends are welcome almost any time, and they often come home from activities with a friend or two. Seems like there's ALWAYS someone extra here! Sometimes I have to call a "family only" day. It might help that the open-door policy extends to our refrigerator!

You will need to spend some time setting up a schedule for your daughter and learning how everything works. You can do this by logging in to your parent account. You will also need to decide how you want your daughter to handle it if she doesn't understand something in one of her lessons and you are at work or school. The lessons are designed to be done independently, but every student in any educational situation will have occasional questions. You will also need to grade any worksheets and writing assignments. Almost all of the work is online (including tests and quizzes), and the program grades all the online work for you. You will want to look at her reports regularly . . . at least once a week.

I started using Time4Learning during a time when I was especially busy. It's probably the best homeschool curriculum out there for a busy parent.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!