Transition from private school curriculum to homeschool
    katiedid is offline Junior Member

Default Transition from private school curriculum to homeschool

Hello All,
    I have a 9 1/2 year old in 4th grade in a Christian private school. I've been very pleased with the school so far. They use Bob Jones for almost everything & ABeka for math. I did pull her out for homeschooling at the end of second grade from April 1 on & then put her back in at the beginning of third grade due to some life circumstances that I didn't want. Due to financial reasons I am changing her back to homeschooling but since I now have to work plus some learning style/ADHD issues she has, I need to do this via online curriculum. For those of you who really hear God & even those of you who don't (you can as I've just really learned to during this last year), please check out just how strongly God has spoken to me about this: I prayed for clarity with what to do & all of the sudden, my daughter is having issues with the constant pencil/paper curriculum she's doing in 4th grade-the 'transition' grade-have you guys heard that ?!? I'm sure you have as I'm a certified teacher & it truly is a transition year with good, hands on instruction being placed on the back burner to the standard of what's 'expected' in most schools! I don't work as a teacher now but did for 11 years & now I work as a Parent Educator & college instructor so I am blessed to have a flexible schedule. I also have 2 wonderful friends who will help by watching her while I work & allowing her to use my laptop while she's at their home.

So my question is how similar is the Bob Jones online curriculum to the standard that her school is using? How should I transition her-do the courses all start at the very beginning or can she jump into the typical day 25 of school where she is now? Does Time4Learning have any assessment tests to help determine the level needed? Finally, my daughter struggles with math a bit with writing so I'm not sure if the ABeka math is still a good choice or if there's something less expensive plus more helpful to her needs. Ideas, suggestions, thoughts? I've checked out many, many online programs & am really leaning towards this. I also will probably supplement the math at this point with EasyPeasy. Anyway, I would appreciate any advice or ideas, suggestions, etc. that any of you can give me. Please understand that I'm pretty restricted with time (not my choice again) so that's why I'm reaching out to you guys for help!

Thank you all in advance & am looking forward to hearing what you all have to say! K.

katiedid is offline Junior Member

Nevermind, I just realized T4L is not affliated with BJU. Any ideas from those of you who have used Bob Jones, I would love to hear if it compares to any other homeschool curriculum. I found out their online is just a live version of their in school curriculum.

Ruth_Lanton is offline Member

What I like about TFL is that it's all online, and it's not a struggle for my son with fine motor skill delays.

Since you're only 25 or 26 days into the school year, and she's been struggling, I'd probably go ahead and have her start from the beginning in all subjects. There's a good chance that she hasn't actually learned anything in school so far, and if the online curriculum you choose engages her well, she won't mind doing the extra work.

If you end up using the online version of what she's already been doing, you could probably just pick up where she left off at school. But I personally would question how well she'd do on that curriculum if she did so poorly on it at school.
    Ruth, single mom to Jack, 13, Hannah, 19, and Leah, 20.