What constitutes a 'lesson'?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sandra_Shoffner

Thread: What constitutes a 'lesson'?

Sandra_Shoffner is offline Junior Member

Question What constitutes a 'lesson'?

Greetings fellow parents!

We have been using T4L for a couple months now, and I'm embarrassed to say that I am STILL figuring it all out. Currently my concern is what exactly counts as a lesson? I have been using the schedule generator with my start and stop dates as the ground work.. Then it shows me that Student A needs to complete 4 math lessons per day, 3 LA, 1 LA ext., ETC. But is the lesson the 1-3 instructions PLUS the quiz or test listed or is it only the first instruction that counts as a lesson? I hope this makes sense, I do not know the proper terminology to clearly convey my question...

Looking for any info and interested in any additional pointers as well! Thanks so much!!

~Sandra

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

A lesson IS the 1-3 instructions (activities) plus the quiz . . . but the activity generator tells you how many lesson ACTIVITIES to do. An activity is just the amount of work behind one icon (what you are calling an "instruction"). For "counting" purposes, an activity is also a quiz or a test. So, each "thing" your student does counts as one activity.

Time4Learning is arranged like this: Each subject icon (math, language arts, science, social studies) is a textbook. The textbook is divided into chapters. The chapters are divided into lessons. The lessons are divided into lesson activities.

I hope this helps you create a mental picture of the curriculum.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Thank you Kelly,

I appreciate your quick response. So the number generated is the number of activities recommended to be completed per day. That makes the goal seem much more attainable.

I have a follow up if you don't mind. On each subject's main page it show the numbers, 1, 2, 3. Clicking these changes each activity a bit. Can you explain the difference in them?

And just to clarify, if we follow these guidelines each day and week, completing the chapters as we go, my children will obtain the recommended amount of information they should for their grade, is this correct?
    I'm sorry, I just still have that paranoid "I'm going to fail them" feeling looming over me...

Thanks again,

Sandra

Me again, I just answered my own question about the numbers in the corner of the listed activities! They are the grade before and after the grade currently selected, is that correct?

~S

Blog Entries

Yes, Sandra, you are right about the little numbers.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

mrswinfield113 is offline Junior Member

thanks kelly, new home schooler here thanks for the information I hope we are starting correctly.

So, if we follow these guidelines each day and week, completing the chapters as we go, my children will obtain the recommended amount of information they should for their grade, is this correct?

I'm sorry, I just still have that paranoid "I'm going to fail them" feeling looming over me and I'd like a bit of reassurance...

Sandra

Blog Entries

Hi, Sandra. Students who do well with the Time4Learning curriculum usually do well on standardized tests. Homeschooling doesn't have to be hard, and students don't have to spend all day on lessons to learn. Maybe this article will be of help to you: How Long is a Homeschool Day?

Thank you again Kelly, That article was helpful, and extremely relate-able. I appreciate your time.