jessica_leslie is offline Junior Member

Default What do I do and how do I document this extra time?

So the state says my son has to have 1,080 hours in but I did a calculator and number of activities needed to be done. Didn't start until this month he will we done in may and gets done in four hours only four days a week and that's using t4l as a full curriculum..that's alot of time we need to show work for what do I do?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What do I do and how do I document this extra time?

Hi, Jessica. No one should be sitting in front of a computer for that many hours. Homeschool families legitimately count Scouts, 4H, music lessons, organized sports, volunteer work or part time jobs, arts and crafts, educational DVDs and computer use, and casual parental instruction in things like cooking or auto mechanics as school hours.

I just keep a calendar for each of my kids and jot things at the end of each day, such as "National Geographic DVD, 2 hours" or "grocery shopping, 1 hour". If you are homeschooling a high schooler or if your state requires certain subjects, you can reasonably call the National Geographic DVD "social studies" or "geography" hours and grocery shopping can be "life skills" or half an hour of "life skills" and half an hour of "consumer math", or whatever you decide it's worth.

You might be interested in reading How Long is a Homeschool Day?

Here is a form from the Let's Homeschool High School site for keeping track of homeschool hours. It's intended for high school, but can work for any age.

Hope this helps!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

jessica_leslie is offline Junior Member

Thank you that's a big help. The how many hours in a school day don't really apply cause basically I'll be doing 16 hours a week in t4l and the rest doing our own thing .it's going to be 30 hours a week total I'll have.to document .if we do that we can be done in 9 months. If not no biggieas we can do fun things in the summer that can also apply towards those hours, that takes away alot of stress. Can't believe I can count chores as life skills..I love how homeschool gives credit for actual life projects we do daily.

spoiledmama is offline Junior Member

Wow that is alot of time to be documented. Luckily I live in a state where that is not required. We simply file an intent to homeschool form for each of our children and that's the end of it. The rest is up to us on how we do things. It is nice that lots of everyday life activities can be taken into consideration. I never even knew that.