Brand new to homeschooling I need help...
    tonigirl Guest

Talking Brand new to homeschooling I need help...

Is there anyone in the Monmouth County area that can help me get started with homeschooling.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Tonigirl, Welcome to the Parenting Forums of Time4Learning. It's so nice to meet you. Here is a list of some of the homeschool support groups in the state. I'm sure there are many more that are not on this list but it's a start.

Perhaps we can help you with some of your questions. New Jersey is one of the easiest states to homeschool in. If your child is not already in school, you just start teaching them. There are no forms to fill out, no reports to file, no permission to ask. If your child is already in school, simply write a letter to the school stating that your child will not be returning to school as they will be homeschooling. The school may try to ask for other information but legally they are not entitled to anything more than that.

Please come back and tell us a bit more about yourself. How old is your child/children? That will help us answer your questions.

I have a ten year old son. We have been homeschooling with time4learning since preK.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Samadhi6 Guest

Angry Frustrated

I have a son currently enrolled in the Paterson Public school system and I went to withdraw him from school adn I was given the run around they told me that I have to fill out forms and I informed them that I do not have to do that. At this point I don't know what to do.

Blog Entries

Send a letter to the school superintendent telling them that you are withdrawing your son. As of XYZ date he will no longer be attending that school. Attach a copy of the New Jersey law. Some school districts will try to tell you that they have to approve your curriculum choices. This is not true. The most you should have to give them is the name of the program you are using or the names of books you are using. They do not have the right to ask for anything else. It is up to the school district to prove that you are not homeschooling. It is not up to you to prove that you are.

If it were me, I would just send them the letter and keep your son home. We have been successfully homeschooling in New Jersey since preK. My son is now in 4th grade.

I would connect with a local homeschool support group as well. GECKO is a great group for Essex and surrounding counties. Also New Jersey Homeschool Hangout. GECKO is a yahoo group and the Hangout is a meetup group. There is a monthy gathering at the Montclair Library. There is also a monthly homeschool class at Montclair Art Museum. These are all great places to meet other homeschoolers in your area. Please let me know if I can help in any other way.

Samadhi6 Guest

Thumbs up In need of assistance

I want to thank you Kathi. I submitted the letter to the school district and was successful. My next step is where to begin. I am VERY new to this and I want to make sure that my 4th grade son gets everything that he needs. I was asked by his doctor am I a professional teacher. When I said no he told me he doesnt think it would be a good idea to homeschool him because he doesnt think that my son will thrive getting homeshooled. This sort of made me a little self concious about the job that I can do. Is there anything that you can suggest as far as lesson plans and where I can get the tools needed, seeing as though you have been doing this for so long?

Blog Entries

Find a new doctor who is familiar with homeschooling. Get involved in some of the homeschool support groups in the area. This will give your son some friends to hang out with and it will be support for you. Let me know if you want to get together sometime. I also have a fourth grade son.

Samadhi6 Guest

Thank you Kathi for the feedback. I think getting together would be great for me and my son as well since this is very new to both of us. I live in Paterson NJ and I do have a car so meeting somewhere would not be a problem. yo can contact me via my cell @@@@@@@. Thank you for getting back to me
    Last edited by fairylover; 01-16-2013 at 09:08 PM.

Blog Entries

I took your phone number out of your post for safety reason. This is a public forum so it is never safe to use your home phone number. I will call you tomorrow to set up a play date.