Checking In

Thread: Checking In

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Checking In

Just checking in to see how everyone is doing. Have you all got electricity back on yet? Do you have everything you need? I hope everyone is warm and comfortable and back in their own homes by now. We got our electricity back on Saturday morning. Fortunately we had a generator so we were warm the whole time. And strange as it may seem we had internet most of the time after the first day or so.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

rgonzalez Guest

Default What do i need to do to start home schooling my daughter

Hello,
    I'm looking into home schooling my daughter but just don't know how to go about it. we live in New Jersey and I wanted to start ASAP can you tell me what steps in need to go through and where do i look for the curriculum. She's presently in the 8th grade.
    Thank you for your help
    Please e-mail me @ [email][email protected]

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

The first thing you need to do is write a letter to the school she attends telling them that she will no longer be attending because she will be homeschooled. That's pretty much it. New Jersey is a very easy state to homeschool in. There are no requirements for curriculum, testing, reporting or anything. Some school districts will send you a letter saying come back any time if you need to. Others will ignore your letter and not even bother with a response. Still others will try to tell you that you need to have your curriculum approved by them and all kinds of other things. If this happens send them a copy of New Jersey law. That should settle it. Although some will still try to persist.

Many parents will take some time of deschooling when they withdraw their child from school. This could be for a couple of weeks or a couple of months depending on how your daughter accepts the change. Use this time to let her work on things that she is really interested in. Whether it is video games, or learning to cook, or whatever is of interest to her. This would be a great time to get involved with a local homeschool group. Depending on where you live, I may be able to recommend a few good ones. New Jersey Homeschool Hangout pretty much covers the whole state but most of the events are in the North New Jersey area around Wayne, Haskell and that area. It is a meetup group and does charge a small annual fee to cover meetup costs.

Time4Learning does have a limited 8th grade curriculum. You might want to check out Let's Homeschool high School for some great resources as well.

Good luck on your journey. My ten year old has never been to school and we love it that way.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota