Dual Enrollment With Highschool
    DonHomeschool is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Dual Enrollment With Highschool

Hello,

I have two daughters (3rd and 8th grade) that have been home-schooled from the beginning. I would like to register my oldest into a community college course (dual enrollment) when she enters 9th grade (she will be 12 years old by the time she enters this grade).

My problem is that most community colleges in New Jersey offer these programs to students in 11th and 12th grade. I read (in their college catalog) that Brookdale Community College offers 10th grade students the opportunity to register for a course. However, I have not found one community college that specifically states (in their catalog) the opportunity for 9th graders to enroll.

As a result, I started to research the catalog of Middlesex Community College and it states that they would allow high school students to enroll as long as they fulfill the course prerequisite. Does anyone have any experience with enrolling their children in this college? Additionally, can anyone recommend another community college that would accept a 9th grader to register for a course?

I would appreciate any input. Thanks.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I am not aware of any college in New Jersey that will allow a 12 year old to take classes. Most require that the student be at least 14 before they can enroll. Even then it is on a very limited basis. You may want to try talking to an admissions person to see if they would make allowances. William Paterson University has some great summer classes. Many of them are open to younger students. I'm not sure how far of a drive that would be for you.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Unregistered Guest

Default Try Morris county or Rutgers

If your child is ready, try Morris County Community College (she will jst need the appropriate dean's signature) or Rutgers. The youngest student to take a college course at Rutgers was 10 years old. (call Liz in early college office. If she has SAT or ACT scores, that would help. Summer and January enrollment are easier, especially initially)

Blog Entries

Wow, 10 years old and in college. I can't imagine. My 11 year old is no where ready for anything like that. But I do know a 10 year old who would probably be right at home there. She is teaching herself advanced calculus. Best wishes as you search for a good college for your child.

Anniece is offline Junior Member

Burlington CC is suppose to be VERY homeschool friendly and from what I understand have no age limits. I do know of someone with an 11 yr old enrolled both in on line courses and actual classes on campus.

Blog Entries

That's good to know. I have not heard of anyone under 14 attending college. It's good to know there are places they can attend.

DonHomeschool is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thanks to everyone that responded to my original post. I would welcome any new input (will be visiting some of the suggested schools in the early spring of 2014, for a summer course enrollment).

Blog Entries

Glad you got some good feedback. Let us know if anything comes up.