help

Thread: help

Unregistered Guest

Cool help

hello

i need information on how to get started on home schooling.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Homeschooling in New Jersey is so easy. How old is your child? Are they in school now? For a small child, the main thing to do is read to them. You may want to check out the Welcome To Homeschooling page. Please give a bit more information and I will do what I can to help out. I'm sure others on this forum will help as well.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Jenniesmom Guest

Smile New to Homeschooling-looking for guidance

I am new to homschooling. I recently took my daughter out of Kindergarten to start at home. I am hearing that it is hard. I want to keep her home to give her a better chance at learning-her class at school has 24 kids with 1 teacher. I was told that I had to show the local school district the curriculum that I will use with my daughter. Is this true? Do I have to notify school that I am homeschooling? I know Kindergarten is not required in NJ.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Some local school districts will try to bully you into doing things that are not required by law in New Jersey. I have heard stories over and over again from my friends that this is happening. You do not have to show them your curriculum. If the superintendent demands to know that you are teaching your child you can say that you are using Time4Learning.com. It then becomes the responsibility of the state to determine if this meets the requirement of being equivalent to that of the public schools. Since your daughter was in school, you need to send a letter to the school that she was attending that your daughter will no longer be attending their school and she will be homeschooled from now on. I would send this certified. I would also send a copy of this notice to the superintendent for your school district. If she had not been attending kindergarten, you would not have to do anything at all. It is not at all hard to homeschool in New Jersey. In fact it is one of the easiest states to homeschool in. There are basically no laws to follow. A to Z has a good summary of NJ laws. You could also check out the Time4Learning NJ page. Connect into some of the many homeschooling groups in the area. Relax, it's not as hard as you think. You've been teaching your daughter since the day she was born. You will be able to continue to teach her. Come back and ask any further questions that you might have.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota