To homeschool or not to homeschool...that is my dilemma
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By fairylover
  • 1 Post By 6DillPickles
  • 1 Post By fairylover

Thread: To homeschool or not to homeschool...that is my dilemma

Momto4 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default To homeschool or not to homeschool...that is my dilemma

Hello everyone! I'm a mom to 4 wonderful kids. They are 14, 9, 7 & 3. I have been giving serious consideration to homeschooling my 3 youngest. My oldest is starting high school and I'm not sure how I feel about homeschooling at that level, but I'm very interested in homeschooling the youngest 3.

I could really use some guidance. I don't even know where to begin to research and find curriculum. Also, does anyone have any advise on homeschooling high schoolers?

I really appreciate any and all responses! I'm eager to get this show on the road!!

Thank you!!
    Meredith

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Meredith. Welcome to time4learning and to the wonderful world of homeschooling. I think it is important that you look at why you are considering homeschooling. Is it because the schools around you are not very good? Is it social pressure from public school? Is it so you can be the one responsible for teaching family values? Or is it that you miss your kids while they are gone all day and want to be with them more? These are just a few of the reasons people homeschool. I have a nine year old boy who is extremely hyperactive. I'm sure that if he were in school they would be wanting to put him on drugs immediately. He would find it impossible to sit still for six hours a day. But even before we knew he was hyper, we planned to homeschool. Both my husband and I hated school. Neither of us received the kind of stimulation we needed to keep us involved. We were both very bored. We knew we didn't want that for our child so the plan from the moment we decided to adopt was that we would homeschool.

You're right there are so many different curriculums out there. And what works well for your nine year old may not work at all for your seven year old. Each child is so totally different. We were very fortunate that we found time4learning in the beginning. We have used it since preK and have no regrets. The cartoon like characters and the video game style is perfect for my son. My daughter has bounced from one curriculum to another. She still hasn't found one she was happy with. I really don't know how to tell you how to choose a curriculum. And many people don't use one at all. Many people are "life learners" or "unschoolers". They learn from living every day life. And from doing things that meet the child's interests. We do lots and lots of field trips to make sure my son is getting to do the things he is most interested in. But we follow the curriculum of time4learning at the same time. I know there are websites out there that help you compare one curriculum to another. But I don't have any of their addresses right now. If I can find one later I will post it.

As far as high school goes, my little one is only in fourth grade so I don't have a lot of experience with high school. My grandson is starting high school this year. I'll find out what curriculum they are using. A lot of 14 and 15 year old kids are taking classes at their local community college. THis way they are getting college credits while they are still in high school.

I think it is important to find a good homeschool support group in your area. What part of the state are you in? That would help to point out which groups are near you. NJ Homeschool Hangout is a great group that has activities mostly in North NJ. There are some high school aged boys in that group that I know. If you look at the posts at the beginning of the NJ Parent Forum, there is one that has a list of resources. There are many great groups listed there. I know that there are some high school aged kids that play soccer at the Homeschool Soccer Program in Edison. If you are near there, that might be a good place to start meeting people.

Please come back here with any questions you can think of. I love talking about homeschooling and about time4learning.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Glenn is offline Junior Member

Hello,
    I am facing a similiar issue my son is beginning Kindergarten today and found out he is required to wear school uniforms which his mom and I are also not thrilled with. My son also is at a 1 grade level and will be bored and frustrated doing work he knows how to do over a year ago. I want my son to be social and be himself and not sure that will be reached at the public school system. I am looking into if the school has any legal action if my son just goes to school is jeans and a t-shirt. The school system has done such a horrible job now it is left putting everyone into a bubble. Still not sure what steps I will take next to make sure my son has an enjoyable eductional journey.

Blog Entries

My favorite line has always been "When in doubt, don't." If you have so many concerns about your son going to school, don't send him. Especially at this age, you want him to be comfortable in his environment. If he is forced to dress in a way that he or you are not comfortable, if he is being placed at a lower level because of his age, if you just aren't sure it's good for your child, don't send him. It's as simple as that. If you haven't enrolled him yet, you don't have to do a thing. Just start teaching. If you have enrolled him in school you will need to write a letter to the superintendent informing them that he will no longer be attending school. Some school districts in NJ will try to tell you that they have to approve your curriculum. This is not true.

We have used time4learning for our curriculum since my son was in preK. He is now in fourth grade and still loves it.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll do what's best for your child and your family.
    Fenix777 likes this.

6DillPickles is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi Meredith,

I have 6 children, 20, 16, 15, 13, 8, 3.......I took the plunge 2 years ago with shaky legs, my teens do "OK" with the transition. You have to stick to what you believe and just do it! You won't get a lot of support, for at least me, my communities I've been in (VT and NJ) do not have much, if any homeschool support. All our curriculums are made up and no one is chosen to keep the reason why we homeschool in perspective. WE can choose and what ever is best for the child. The options are limitless. Two of my teens took courses at UVM in VT in May/June. They took an online course for Algebra 1 and chose a curriculum for history and English from Christianbooks.com. I have them do current events especially when something exciting comes up, (the earthquake in Japan, Hurricane Irene, etc.) You can then use you research and turn it into English writing, history or science most of the time.

Have to go, do not put too much pressure on yourself as I do. It all works out!

Lorna
    Fenix777 likes this.

Blog Entries

Where are you at in NJ dillpickles? There are some great homeschool groups around this area. Let me know and I will help you find some. I posted an article a couple of weeks ago about using the New York Times to homeschool with. Did you see it?

I live in Bergen County and would appreciate any help inregards to homeschool groups. I just want the best for my son. He did attend public school yesterday and said things went well, but I still have my own personal feelings about it. The fact he gets out at 3:10pm and I have to wait outside to get him is a joke, there is never any parking but that seems typical with schools.

Blog Entries

I am also in Bergen County. We are members of NJ Homeschool Hangout which is through meetup.com. We are also members of the tricounty group which covers New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut. It is a yahoo group. Look for ths homeschool. Gecko is a yahoo group that is primarily in Essex County. But it's close enough that we go to lots of their activities. We go to homeschool soccer in Edison on Thursday mornings. We are also involved with HandsOnLearning and of course my own group, Butterflies In The Wind. These are both yahoo groups. Let me know if you have trouble connecting with any of these groups or finding the links. I'm in a rush this morning but I can get the info for you later if you can't find it. If you look at the first few threads in the NJ forum, one of them is resources. I'm pretty sure the links to all of these groups are in there.

Montclair Art Museum starts their new year next week. The classes for 4 to 8 year olds meet on Friday. Got to run, but ask more questions and I'll get back to you.

Well On Friday my sons school called around lunch time and informed me that he had chest pain. Since he does suffer from sub aortic membrane and needs medical attention I had to go pick him up. Usually the nurse would give him motrin for inflamation but since it only being the third day of school they did not recieve the doctors paperwork yet. Also I find out in recess that he was playing kick ball which he is not suppose to do because of his heart and the fact that there is a 504 plan put into place with the school. The principal and nurse said lets monitor the situation for a month, but another avenue may have to be addressed. I feel bad for my son since he wants to play and run around but obviously the school can not monitor him and 22 other children. I need two incomes coming into the house especially since I have another boy on the way due in November. Not sure if the school would provide a tutor or inregards to home schooling could that be done during the hours of 2pm-7pm weekdays. I can work with my son during the weekend since I am off Saturday and Sunday. Since my wife is a high risk pregnacy I am really trying to keep her calm regarding this matter but I know she is stressed out and upset as I am. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Also thanks Kathi for your previous suggestions.
    -Sincerely, Glenn

Blog Entries

There is no law that homeschooling must take place between 9 and 3 Monday through Friday. We have been known to do school work at midnight. Weekends are great for learning. At your son's age he probably is not going to be schooling for more than half an hour to an hour a day anyway. Fortunately in New Jersey there are no laws or reguirements of any kind. Stressing out over whether or not someone is watching out for your son's medical needs can be harmful for your wife with a high risk pregnancy. Sound to me like your only real issue is child care while you and your wife are both working. Since you will need that for the baby anyway, it doesn't sound like a serious problem.

Going from two incomes to one can be difficult. When I quit my job five years ago to stay home with our son, it seriously crimped our lifestyle. But we adapted and we soon learned to get by on a smaller income. You can do it, it just takes careful budgeting.
    Fenix777 likes this.