Homeschooling, diploma, GED, credits, scholarships, college??
    Jamy Guest

Default Homeschooling, diploma, GED, credits, scholarships, college??

Well i might start homschool tomorrow and my parents were wondering whats going to happen with when i want to enter a good college? dont i need scholarships or diplomas? also what happens with the SAT test and the credits we usually get in school for our classes?
    ive heard that taking the GED might be bad because colleges see it as a "drop out" meanwhile others say its okay to take it . Im a bit confused.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Many homeschoolers begin attending community college around the time they turn 15. By taking a class or two each sememster, by the time you are ready for college you will have built up quite a few credits. A lot of these people then go full time to the community college until they have a full two year degree. They can then transfer with this to almost any four year university. You can still take the SAT. Most high schools will allow homeschoolers to take the SAT there. If your local high school will not allow it, you could go to a place like Sylvan Learning Center or maybe even the community college. Scholarships are great. We all love them. And yes, you can still qualify. In fact there are scholarships out there that are only available to homeschoolers. You just have to look for them.

Some kids do decide to take the GED. And you're right there has been some controversy about it in the past. Today colleges see it has showing that even if the person dropped out of high school, they then decided to move on with their education. Colleges and universities often come looking for homeschoolers today. They want you for a student. Often homeschooled kids have developed better study habits than their public schooled peers.

Good luck as you journey on. Enjoy learning.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Unregistered Guest

Default Would love to speak to you RE college and HS and T4L

I just signed up for Time For Learning...
    Would love to pick your brain over it.

Also do you have more info on homeschoolers and college?

I just moved to New Jersey so I am new to this area. Thanks
    Susan

[email protected]

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I don't have a lot of specific information. I know that a lot of the teens I know begin taking college classes at around age 15 at the local community colleges. I don't know what the admissions requirements are. I think that varies with each college. There is one girl over in NY that I have heard of who used testing to test her way through almost all of her college classes at a very young age. William Paterson University offers some classes specifically for younger kids, 14 through 17. Most of them are in the summer. You would have to check with them.

We have used time4learning since preK. My son loves it. Please ask away with your questions. We're all here to help each other. What part of Jersey are in you? We are in Bergen County, but we attend classes all over the state and in New York. I have a nine year old son. How old are your children?
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota