How do I begin homeschooling?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Unregistered Guest

Default How do I begin homeschooling?

Hi everyone. I am in Morris County, NJ. I have four children, two of whom attend Rutgers as a Freshman and Sophmore, an 8th grade daughter and a 5th grade son. Here is my dilema. My 8th grader hates school, she has hated it since Kindergarten. For years we have meetings with the teachers telling my husband and I of how she does not focus, blah blah blah, but I know she is focusing and paying attention as her grades reflect she does. We are about a month into school and again it seems I will be getting the same lecture from the teachers. Sometimes I feel like they are just looking for things to complain about in this district as 5 of my closest friends whose children attend the same school have the same issues! (maybe they get money if they can lable children?) They insinuated she had ADD in the past so I took her to a psychiatris whom herself has ADD and she said no, she does not have it, she just doesn't like school! I really feel I cannot tolerate another year of her in public school and am seriously considering homeschooling. How difficult it is it to begin a homeschooling program and how do I pull her out of school if I intend to do so? Thank you for any information you may have!

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

You are so lucky to be in New Jersey. We are one of the easiest states to homeschool in. The first thing you would do is write a letter to the school superintendent telling them that your daughter will no longer be attending their school because she will be homeschooling. They may try to hassle you about it and tell you that they have to approve your curriculum or whatever, but this is not true. Stand firm, send them a copy of New Jersey law if you need to. There is nothing for them to approve. Most school districts will not do this. The next thing you need to do is get connected with a couple of good homeschool support groups in the area. You need this both as support for yourself and as a social outlet for your daughter. Check out the new to homeschool link here on time4learning. You will need to pick out a curriculum or put something together yourself. Many people do this with free resources like the public library. Time4Learning has curriculum up through 8th grade so you may want to use this for your first year. We have used it since my son was in preK. He's now in fourth grade. Many people do child lead learning. This involves studying areas in which the child has a particular interest. Does your daughter like animals? Does she like to garden? Does she like math or science? Whatever her interests are, that would be a good place to begin your studies. Since she has struggled with school for so long, this might be an excellent place for her to begin. Just work on things she is interested in for a few months, then try to add in subjects that she will need in life. Many people in New Jersey are Unschoolers. They do not "teach" anything, but they help the child to learn whatever it is that they want to learn. Many people recommend a time of deschooling when a child first stops attending building school. This allows the child (and the parent) to unlearn some of the behaviors that are learned in school. It allows a transition into a new way of learning and living.

In New Jersey we have no one to account to. There are no reports to send in and no annual testing required. We have a lot of freedom to help our children learn in an environment that is best for them. I do keep records of the work my son does on time4learning. I used to keep more accurate records of field trips that we did. I'm not as god about that as I used to be. But the records are mostly so I can show my husband what we are doing. If anyone would every question what we are doing I have the records that I can show them.

Please come back and let us know what you decide to do. Also if you have any other questions, feel free to ask. We're here to support each other.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Unregistered Guest

Smile Hi - In Morris as well

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hi everyone. I am in Morris County, NJ. I have four children, two of whom attend Rutgers as a Freshman and Sophmore, an 8th grade daughter and a 5th grade son. Here is my dilema. My 8th grader hates school, she has hated it since Kindergarten. For years we have meetings with the teachers telling my husband and I of how she does not focus, blah blah blah, but I know she is focusing and paying attention as her grades reflect she does. We are about a month into school and again it seems I will be getting the same lecture from the teachers. Sometimes I feel like they are just looking for things to complain about in this district as 5 of my closest friends whose children attend the same school have the same issues! (maybe they get money if they can lable children?) They insinuated she had ADD in the past so I took her to a psychiatris whom herself has ADD and she said no, she does not have it, she just doesn't like school! I really feel I cannot tolerate another year of her in public school and am seriously considering homeschooling. How difficult it is it to begin a homeschooling program and how do I pull her out of school if I intend to do so? Thank you for any information you may have!
    Hi - I am in Morris Cty and have an 8th grader and a 3rd grader as well as a 2year old. I pulled my oldest out of school after 2nd grade.

Beginning to homeschool in NJ is not difficult at all, and there are many programs out there that you can start with completely out of the box, or many places to pull parts and pieces to suit your daughter's learning style from.

I am on this board because I am looking into Time4Learning for my son. He is constantly complaining about, and not entirely focusing on schoolwork. He is bright as can be, but has no patience for sitting at the desk with books....most of the time he will sit for hours and not accomplish anything. I have him enrolled in an online language course and he devours that without a complaint and keeps asking for more so I am hoping an online program with games and computer guidance will be a better option for us.

My 8th grader uses a mix of things. She has done well with Saxon math so she continues working on that. We use K12 for History right now, and we piece together Language Arts from various sources. My biggest struggle is sciences for her. I like K12, but can't afford to do more than one course at a time right now - so we are in limbo with that and just read topics from textbooks and other books for now until we can figure it out. We do test every year even though it is not required in NJ and so far what we are doing seems to be working out just fine.

Let me know if you took the plunge to homeschool.

D.

Blog Entries

Hi D. Welcome to the forum. I have a nine year old boy. We have used time4learning since preK. He loves the video game style and the funny charactors. I love the ease of record keeping and there is no lesson planning. It's great. My son also would not tolerate workbooks and sit down learning activities. Today he played on the floor while I read his social studies lesson to him. He seems to not be paying attention, yet he got every answer right on the quiz. Time4learning is great for him and his sort attention span.

monkeyschool Guest

Default Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by fairylover View Post
    Hi D. Welcome to the forum. I have a nine year old boy. We have used time4learning since preK. He loves the video game style and the funny charactors. I love the ease of record keeping and there is no lesson planning. It's great. My son also would not tolerate workbooks and sit down learning activities. Today he played on the floor while I read his social studies lesson to him. He seems to not be paying attention, yet he got every answer right on the quiz. Time4learning is great for him and his sort attention span.
    Hi Kathi -

Thank you We just got the account set up for my son and are going to try things out.
    D.

Blog Entries

Great. Feel free to ask questions. When we first started homeschooling I had tons of them. Hope you like t4l as much as we do.

monkeyschool is offline Junior Member Newbie

We are really liking it so far. I have to admit that it is a bit confusing figuring out how it all works.
    Thank you
    D.

Blog Entries

I'm glad you're liking it. To help figure out some of how it works, check this out.

cherilyn62 Guest

Default home school

So wondering can anyone home school or do you have to be certified in NJ?

Blog Entries

The short answer to your question is no, you do not have to be certified in New Jersey. In fact there are no laws in New Jersey at all. If your child is in school, notify the school that they will not be returning. If they have never been to school then just continue teaching as you have been since they were born. It's that simple. No reporting, no permission, no testing, nothing. Have fun and enjoy being with your child.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast