How to notify the school district?
    HDavison is offline Junior Member

Default How to notify the school district?

I am not sure if this has been asked before, but how would I go about notifying our school district that I am removing my two boys from public school? I tried to Google it, but came up blank.

Thanks!

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

It came up blank on Google because there really isn't a policy in NJ. Most parents simply write a note to the principal of the children's school stating that they are taking charge of their children's education and the children will not be returning to school. Some include a copy of the law. Others state that they are taking responsibility and will not hold the school district responsible for the children's education. A few school districts will try to tell you that they have to approve your curriculum before you can remove the children from school. This is not true. In fact they have no right to approve anything you do. If there is a question about whether or not the children are being homeschooled, you only have to show the names or books that you use or the name of the curriculum that you use.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Thanks for the reply Kathi!

I plan on writing a simple letter to the Principal and Superintendent, and include the Enrollment papers from T4L for added proof.

Blog Entries

Welcome to the biggest adventure of your life.

I mailed the letter to the school district yesterday, certified, and received a voicemail today from the secretary of the elementary school advising I had to sign a "Transfer Verification Form" in order to officially dis-enroll them. I've never heard of such a thing, so I am going to do some research.
    Last edited by HDavison; 02-22-2012 at 02:48 PM.
    Homeschooling Mom of 2 (soon-to-be 3!)

Hunter, 8yo son, 2nd grade (the cowboy)
    Ryan, 6yo son, 1st grade (the comedian)
    Aubrey, 2yo daughter (the monkey-loving princess)

Blog Entries

I searched and searched but I finally did find reference to a verification form under NJ Department of Education's frequently asked questions.

"Under what circumstances will a parent/guardian of a child be required to inform the local board of education of the intent to educate his/her child elsewhere than at school? There are two circumstances in which a parent/guardian of a child will be required to inform the local board of education of the intent to educate his/her child elsewhere than at school:

• If a parent/guardian attempts to register a student in a local school district and the district refuses to enroll the student, the parent may provide the district with an intent to appeal such denial. If the parent does not provide the district with an intent to appeal, the parent/guardian is required to provide a statement of verification regarding whether the student will be attending school in another school district or a nonpublic school, or will be receiving instruction elsewhere than at school (N.J.A.C. 6A:22-4.2(d)); AND
    • If a parent/guardian decides to remove an enrolled student from his/her high school educational program, the parent/guardian will be required to complete a transfer form which includes information related to the intent to provide instruction elsewhere than at school for the purposes of collecting accurate data on high school enrollment.

For any other circumstances, the New Jersey Department of Education encourages parents to notify the local board of education of the intent to educate the child elsewhere than at school so that questions do not arise with respect to the parent’s compliance with the compulsory education law."

I would simply send a copy of this entire page, highlighting this section to the school. I would include a note that says that your child is not in high school so this does not apply. This is the only place I could find a reference to this form. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.