Intro. by South Orange, NJ Homeschooling Mom
    CarolS is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Intro. by South Orange, NJ Homeschooling Mom

Hello all! My name is Carol and my family and I live in South Orange, NJ which is part of Essex County. We use time4learning with our 2 sons, ages 11 and (almost) 5. We like to incorporate other methods of learning as well, but we love it here and plan to stay.

I am hoping to network with other homeschooling families in NJ for playdates and sharing of information and such. We are without a car and rely on public transportation so we are pretty limited when it comes to making friends with other homeschoolers. Actually, I have found this to be the most challenging part of homeschooling!

I hope to receive replies from anyone in NJ, and particularly those in our area.

Carol

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Carol. Welcome to the New Jersey Parent Forum. I have a ten year old boy. We have used time4learning since he was in preK and we love it. Here is a link to support groups in New Jersey. We are members of NJ Homeschool Hangout and GECKO. The GECKO group has a weekly park day in Montclair. That might be a good starting point for you. I know that once people get to know you a bit they are pretty good about offering rides if you are on their way. During the school year the Montclair Art Museum has monthly homeschool classes. The museum is on the bus line I'm pretty sure. There are monthly classes at Cooper Grist Mill in Chester and at Historic Speedwell in Morristown. Both of these would require rides though. The classes are really fun for the kids and a great time for parents to get together as well. I find that I need that time with other parents almost more than my son needs play time with other kids. Once you join a couple of groups you will see so many activities on their calendars that it is hard to choose which ones to do and which ones to skip.

I hope some of the other NJ families on here will respond. I know there are a lot of us.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

mamamucka is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hello carol,

My name is Leneisa I live in Irvington and I have a soon to be 5 year old son, 1.5 son, 9 year old daughter. I would love to meet other families in my area. Maybe we can meet at south orange library for a library day.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Leneisa, Thanks for reminding me about the meetings at the South Orange Library. This is a great place to meet other homeschooling families and it is on the bus route. I've heard great things about this meeting. Leneisa do you know which days they meet?
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota